VOGONS

First post, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

I’m trying to install Tomb Raider to test the S3 Virge DX that I had to put back in my 486 to replace the ATi Rage II+ DVD in it. I moved to a new motherboard that loads an 8kb rom in the middle of upper memory so I didn’t have 64kb free, while still having somewhere to load XT-IDE’s bios. The Rage has a 40kb rom but this ViRGE only has a 32kb one — letting me stick XT-IDE at C800.

Anyway, in DOS 6.22 or Windows 95b if I run install.exe OR tomb.exe the game starts to load, spits out some text (normal loading stuff), does a dissolve transition on the text where it splits into two and fades out left and right (pretty cool) and then dies. Hard locks PC with a black screen.

Anyone have any hints? I’m stuck as there isn’t an error to go on.

Reply 1 of 2, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You can copy files to c:\Tombraid and run install and the game from c:.
Was the game working with in your 486 with the Ati Rage II in dos ? You could try the S3 patch too but it will probably crash the same, the software version shouldn't crash in dos. Maybe you were playing the ATI rage patch before which is a Windows version.
Tomb Raider was meant for a Pentium, it was slow in software mode anyways. Is your cpu a 486 SX or DX ? Maybe it's expecting an fpu.

Reply 2 of 2, by aspiringnobody

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chuky wrote on 2022-11-10, 22:17:

You can copy files to c:\Tombraid and run install and the game from c:.
Was the game working with in your 486 with the Ati Rage II in dos ? You could try the S3 patch too but it will probably crash the same, the software version shouldn't crash in dos. Maybe you were playing the ATI rage patch before which is a Windows version.
Tomb Raider was meant for a Pentium, it was slow in software mode anyways. Is your cpu a 486 SX or DX ? Maybe it's expecting an fpu.

It ended up being due to CPU to PCI Burst being enabled. I have to turn it off to get Tomb Raider not to crash. No idea why!