VOGONS

First post, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Does anyone have a pinout the VGA feature connector?

I'm trying to resurrect an AGP Cirrus Logic CL-GD5465 based card that had it's feature connector header cannibalized for header pins some decades ago... I'm probing to see if any of the pins are shorted to anywhere. I found unexpected grounds on pins Z8,9,10 and 11, so it would be nice if I had a pinout to check.

Reply 1 of 5, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This looks accurate: https://www.epanorama.net/documents/pc/vga_feature.html . It is for the 2x13 pins connector. The older edge connector and newer pin header connector models have the same pinout. There are a lot of ground pins in that connector.

The VAFC feature connector has well more than 26 pins, so if you have more than that, the above pinout will not be the right one.

Reply 4 of 5, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have repaired the card by reworking the pins on the video chip.

What gave me a hint is a "tweezer trick" that helps you find loose pins. Basically you're supposed to run something across the pins and listen. Except I actually applied too much force and bent the pins sideways a little. Fixing some 40 tiny pins out of 200 wasn't fun but I got it done. Loose pins with bad solder joints were on the AGP interface side. The card works fine now, playing me some Doom. I think it's slower than some of the PCI cards I have (tested in Doom timedemo), but it's nice to take advantage of the bus on the board nevertheless.

Last edited by r00tb33r on 2023-01-04, 02:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 5, by r00tb33r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2022-11-12, 06:16:

Do you test feature connector with any connected card?

Don't have anything for that connector. I was just testing for a short, since someone cannibalized the pins from the header many moons ago.

The card is fixed now.