VOGONS

First post, by mrSoczi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Toshiba Satellite Pro 4600 is rocking a VGA card: Trident CyberBlade XP mobile with 16MB Video SDRAM. It's on Windows 98SE, installed max available DirectX 9.0c. Drivers installed.
Everything DOS related runs fine. However...

Tried to run Starcraft and Red Alert Win95 version. Both give me an immediate black screen with system freeze. I can do nothing but to hard reset. It's exactly the same behaviour on both games. When running Red Alert from the DOS executable it's completely fine.` I have just a hunch that it is somehow connected to the VGA card - the games go fullscreen, freeze and the display goes dark, not like black but it’s like completely off. When trying multiple times Alt+Tab and Ctrl+Alt+Del I sometimes get a BSOD with general notice that the system is busy. Haven't yet tried more Windows games like that, but work is underway.

Does anyone have any idea what can be the reason of such behaviour and maybe how I can debug this problem. With this freeze I cannot even check on the running applications.

Edit: same for Diablo. All native windows games crash the system.

Thanks.

Reply 1 of 1, by mrSoczi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I will again answer to my own problem for future reference 😉

DirectX

I realized that DXDIAG crashes the system when doing a Direct3D test. In the video section turn off Direct3D acceleration and DirectDraw if needed. Now games do not freeze.