VOGONS

First post, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen some threads about how to install drivers for such a setup but all of them require you install the older card's drivers first, then the 2D/3D card (the Voodoo 3 in this case).
Has anyone ever had luck with installing the V1 drivers second, then maybe reinstalling the V3 drivers? I've got my Win 98 setup with the SB Live! and finding the right drivers for that card was a huge pain and I'm not sure if I remember which ones I have installed at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE

Reply 1 of 3, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

in my setup i didn't install v1 windows driver, because the only games id use it are dos only and they have built in driver for it. for windows i treat it just like a voodoo 2 and if i wanted a game to use it instead of the v3 id copy the v1 driver dll to the game folder.

Reply 2 of 3, by JohnJohny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2022-11-23, 12:56:

for windows i treat it just like a voodoo 2 and if i wanted a game to use it instead of the v3 id copy the v1 driver dll to the game folder.

Can you just do that? I mean without installing the Windows drivers before copying the dll. I don't really know how Win95 drivers work but for this to work, they would need to just be "pointers" to .dll files. I'm gonna try that, but it sounds weird and it's gonna be weird if it works.

Late 90s PC: P3 867MHz / Voodoo 3 3000 / SB Live! / SB 16 WaveEffects / Windows 98 SE

Reply 3 of 3, by drosse1meyer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
JohnJohny wrote on 2022-11-21, 22:24:

I've seen some threads about how to install drivers for such a setup but all of them require you install the older card's drivers first, then the 2D/3D card (the Voodoo 3 in this case).
Has anyone ever had luck with installing the V1 drivers second, then maybe reinstalling the V3 drivers? I've got my Win 98 setup with the SB Live! and finding the right drivers for that card was a huge pain and I'm not sure if I remember which ones I have installed at the moment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I dont have a solution to your particular problem but I'd recommend setting up a ghostcast server along with with net boot floppies to easily back up / image your disk over the network before messing around with drivers. That way you can easily revert back to your 'good' setup.

Alternatives are clonezilla or even macrium reflect. Part of the reason why i like using SD cards for retro machines, can pop it into my win10 PC and easily make backup images.

P1: Packard Bell - 233 MMX, Voodoo1, 64 MB, ALS100+
P2-V2: Dell Dimension - 400 Mhz, Voodoo2, 256 MB
P!!! Custom: 1 Ghz, GeForce2 Pro/64MB, 384 MB