VOGONS

First post, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I recently purchased the m3D on eBay (eBay has already refunded my money - their Global Shipping Service took the bullet).

This card was shipped with little protection and NO anti-static bag.

I previously installed the card (and it installs fine) using a Windows 95C system and reinstalled the same with Windows 98 SE. I used Matrox m3D 4.1.1.5.002 drivers. I've tried 3 different primary graphics cards also: ATI 3D Rage Pro Turbo 8MB (PCI), Creative 3D Blaster Banshee 16MB (PCI), and STB Nitro3D S3 Virge/GX 4MB (PCI). I've tested DirectX passthrough (Nightmare Creatures), SGL (Virtual-ON), and DOS SGL (Tomb Raider). The results are the same. I have another m3D and it does not misbehave in either setup or with the Matrox m3D 4.1.1.5.002 drivers.

System is a Pentium 233MMX with Intel 430TX 64MB 512KB cache.

Please see photos. The corruption is at maximum as shown in the photos. Games are perfectly playable, notwithstanding the random scanline-like behavior.

It "might" appear to me this corruption is not heavy when 3D is first activated, but it doesn't take more than a few seconds for it to show up with a vengeance.

I'm wondering if the VRAM is bad, if the graphics processing is permanently damaged, or if a heatsink and fan application might resolve the problem. Or is something else going on?

Thanks for your insight!

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by pancakepuppy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have you done any pinching on the memory or graphics chips while it's running to see if the lines change? Can be a decent indication of a broken solder joint that needs touching up.

Reply 3 of 3, by demonized999

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I had similar symptom with a Voodoo 3 3000 AGP - lines were very similar to the ones you show. Only visible in 3D.
Never got what was it with it as I didn't thought its worth my time - have several others of the kind and just decided to sell it to a person that is willing to work on it.