VOGONS

First post, by RareJerare

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello board members,

While I'm a new memeber, I have trawled these forums before on occasion. I hope this is the correct forum to post to.

I was recently gifted a Tandy RGB CM-5 and as I havent used a CRT monitor in ages I thought it would be insteresting to get it running again. It seems to work alright with it a displaying a white screen when the power button is on without any signal going to it. I've been getting back into older computers (well, not that old, late-90's vintage) and do have a machine I'd like to use it with. The card its using though is (I believe, I'll have to double check this) one of the RIVA TNT2 type. So, I'm trying to get a VGA card to communicate with a CGA monitor. I've done some cursory research in this forum and others, but they all deal with arcade machines. I wasn't sure if there was a desktop specific solution or if its worth looking at an aracde card solution.

Any direction is helpful and I thank you for your time reading this post. If this is the wrong location for this forum topic, please do not hesitate to move it.

Reply 1 of 1, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RareJerare wrote on 2022-12-06, 21:51:
Hello board members, […]
Show full quote

Hello board members,

While I'm a new memeber, I have trawled these forums before on occasion. I hope this is the correct forum to post to.

I was recently gifted a Tandy RGB CM-5 and as I havent used a CRT monitor in ages I thought it would be insteresting to get it running again. It seems to work alright with it a displaying a white screen when the power button is on without any signal going to it. I've been getting back into older computers (well, not that old, late-90's vintage) and do have a machine I'd like to use it with. The card its using though is (I believe, I'll have to double check this) one of the RIVA TNT2 type. So, I'm trying to get a VGA card to communicate with a CGA monitor. I've done some cursory research in this forum and others, but they all deal with arcade machines. I wasn't sure if there was a desktop specific solution or if its worth looking at an aracde card solution.

Any direction is helpful and I thank you for your time reading this post. If this is the wrong location for this forum topic, please do not hesitate to move it.

You have a 15khz monitor, if you use DOS, use Vgatv, but i think your rivatnt is not supported, a S3 is best, but i use a CL and work great

In windows 95+ the best is a ATI, and maybe your riva is supported in XP. Google Soft15khz and winmodelines

You need to make a addapter from your vga to the CGA, rgb, ground and sync, is simple