VOGONS

List of Glide only games

Topic actions

Reply 41 of 68, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

CyberGladiators - This one I actually ran on old hardware just to be more certain of the results.

I cannot find any external Glide support for this game, but I see people talking about it all over the place (Maybe this game has other names?) I have a Windows 95-based version on CD. I looked for a DOS version (checked DOSBOX.org and it's not listed as a compatible game/option), I checked the nGlide 'Native Glide' compatibility list (nothing). I see people running this in "3dfx mode" on YouTube, but they don't go into any details on install or Glide selection. I checked the sierrahelp.com website for patches, as well as PCGamingWiki, Patch Scrolls, various other sites, and Soggi.org.

I see a reference to Rendition and 3dfx cards in the readme file, but nothing further exists in any of the help manuals/files. I didn't find any related DLLs or EXEs on the disc other than DirectX 2.0a:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR P60
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 95 or higher
MEMORY 12 Mb RAM
KEYBOARD AT
CD ROM 2x or better
SUPPORTS Microsoft Sidewinder game pad, Gravis GrIP pad, ThrustMaster Phazer, sound card, 3Dfx card, Rendition card

The game definitely supports hardware acceleration, though. I took three screen shots running on a 3dfx Voodoo Graphics (No 3dfx spinning logo popped up), QDI Rendition V2200 8MB AGP (Voodoo DirectX support was disabled and monitor cable moved to the Rendition), and Software (DirectX completely disabled). It looks like bilinear filtering is applied when hardware acceleration is available, maybe additional shading?

Perhaps someone has a 3dfx (and even Rendition???) patch I can try out? Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, this game can be removed from 'Glide only' consideration.

EDIT - I added 2 more screenshots from a Windows 2000 virtual machine in VMWare Workstation 16.x. I'm sorry the software version is blurry (1st photo), but it's going crazy with the CPU speed. In any case, you can see in both shots the hardware version has filtering and shading (2nd photo).

Attachments

Reply 42 of 68, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Meatball wrote on 2022-12-13, 22:07:
CyberGladiators - This one I actually ran on old hardware just to be more certain of the results. […]
Show full quote

CyberGladiators - This one I actually ran on old hardware just to be more certain of the results.

I cannot find any external Glide support for this game, but I see people talking about it all over the place (Maybe this game has other names?) I have a Windows 95-based version on CD. I looked for a DOS version (checked DOSBOX.org and it's not listed as a compatible game/option), I checked the nGlide 'Native Glide' compatibility list (nothing). I see people running this in "3dfx mode" on YouTube, but they don't go into any details on install or Glide selection. I checked the sierrahelp.com website for patches, as well as PCGamingWiki, Patch Scrolls, various other sites, and Soggi.org.

I see a reference to Rendition and 3dfx cards in the readme file, but nothing further exists in any of the help manuals/files. I didn't find any related DLLs or EXEs on the disc other than DirectX 2.0a:

MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS
PROCESSOR P60
OPERATING SYSTEM Windows 95 or higher
MEMORY 12 Mb RAM
KEYBOARD AT
CD ROM 2x or better
SUPPORTS Microsoft Sidewinder game pad, Gravis GrIP pad, ThrustMaster Phazer, sound card, 3Dfx card, Rendition card

The game definitely supports hardware acceleration, though. I took three screen shots running on a 3dfx Voodoo Graphics (No 3dfx spinning logo popped up), QDI Rendition V2200 8MB AGP (Voodoo DirectX support was disabled and monitor cable moved to the Rendition), and Software (DirectX completely disabled). It looks like bilinear filtering is applied when hardware acceleration is available, maybe additional shading?

Perhaps someone has a 3dfx (and even Rendition???) patch I can try out? Unless I'm missing something, which is possible, this game can be removed from 'Glide only' consideration.

EDIT - I added 2 more screenshots from a Windows 2000 virtual machine in VMWare Workstation 16.x. I'm sorry the software version is blurry (1st photo), but it's going crazy with the CPU speed. In any case, you can see in both shots the hardware version has filtering and shading (2nd photo).

Seems that it only uses Direct3D for 3D hardware acceleration and nothing more. And yes, I also found a YouTube video where someone allegedly ran it on "3dfx mode" with nGlide.

The way how it sounds is similar to Forsaken which also has several "modes", but it only used Direct3D for these except the software renderer.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 43 of 68, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2022-12-13, 20:52:

1997 Vigilance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vigilance ... ite_note-1

Installed the game to check, and theres only 2 options for acceleration, software or 3dfx. Works with voodoo 1 and 2.

Great addition!

This game is annoying as the day is long without the v1.1 patch, though. Parts of it run in software mode until the v1.1 patch is applied, and then it runs 100% 3dfx.

Reply 49 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks everyone! The lists have been updated with the recent findings.

I have also tested two games myself: Pandemonium 2 and F-16 Multirole Fighter. Both are Glide only, and this is stated in their respective readme files as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 51 of 68, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-13, 22:40:

The game autodetects a hardware.
The game uses winglide1x. Glide.dll + sst1init.dll. This API is PitA on a real hardware (V1 or V2 only, not works with the hub architectire, not detects Voodoos on a fact fast CPU etc). But there are nGlide and glide1x->2x wrapper from kjliew.
There is the 3dfx logo (if you copy 3dfxspl2.dll to 3dfxspl.dll) if you run this game with nGlide. I can test WinXPSP3 + Voodoo2 SLI + glide1x->2x wrapper but later (no ddraw/d3d for Voodoo2 in WinXP so no video after I unpug the Voodoo link = the game uses the glide API).

P.S. A Rendition card as the supported hardware? I doubt this. No "VL_CloseVerite_" etc in cyper.exe cyber.exe dump...

P.S.S. The game is too fast in WinXP but there is the (partial?) fix.
Cyber.exe:
Offset 3116 replace C4 FF FF FF to 0E 30 04 00.
Offset 3125 replace B5 FF FF FF to FF 2F 04 00.

Last edited by Gamecollector on 2022-12-16, 06:59. Edited 2 times in total.

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 52 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Truffon wrote on 2022-12-14, 09:43:
Hi You can add Mig-29 Fulcrum from Novalogic. It runs on the same engine as F-16 Multirole Fighter : http://www.novalogic.com/ga […]
Show full quote

Hi
You can add Mig-29 Fulcrum from Novalogic.
It runs on the same engine as F-16 Multirole Fighter :
http://www.novalogic.com/games.asp?GameKey=MIG29F

Thanks! Added that one as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 54 of 68, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Doesn't belong to the list given that the Windows version uses Direct3D, no matter if the DOS version only has software and Glide support.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 55 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
willow wrote on 2022-12-14, 13:51:

Lands of lore 2: Software + glide only with dos version. Direct3d for windows95 version.

Interesting! Thanks for the clarification.

But yeah, for the purposes of this list, the Windows version with Direct3D support is treated the same way as an official patch would be. So this game won't make it.

Reply 56 of 68, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gamecollector wrote on 2022-12-14, 10:04:
The game autodetects a hardware. The game uses winglide1x. Glide.dll + sst1init.dll. This API is PitA on a real hardware (V1 or […]
Show full quote
Gmlb256 wrote on 2022-12-13, 22:40:

The game autodetects a hardware.
The game uses winglide1x. Glide.dll + sst1init.dll. This API is PitA on a real hardware (V1 or V2 only, not works with the hub architectire, not detects Voodoos on a fact CPU etc). But there are nGlide and glide1x->2x wrapper from kjliew.
There is the 3dfx logo (if you copy 3dfxspl2.dll to 3dfxspl.dll) if you run this game with nGlide. I can test WinXPSP3 + Voodoo2 SLI + glide1x->2x wrapper but later (no ddraw/d3d for Voodoo2 in WinXP so no video after I unpug the Voodoo link = the game uses the glide API).

P.S. A Rendition card as the supported hardware? I doubt this. No "VL_CloseVerite_" etc in cyper.exe dump...

P.S.S. The game is too fast in WinXP but there is the (partial?) fix.
Cyber.exe:
Offset 3116 replace C4 FF FF FF to 0E 30 04 00.
Offset 3125 replace B5 FF FF FF to FF 2F 04 00.

Great, thanks for the details!

The rendition was probably mentioned in the readme file because it was also available out in the wild at the time.

On original hardware using an original Voodoo on a Pentium II 400, CyberGLadiators ran OK (via Direct3D), but it didn't look any different (besides Gamma) than when it was running on the Rendition Vertite V200 with acceleration available. Is there are visual difference when running with Glide?

In any event, it is being accelerated with Direct3D if Glide isn't available. In another test enviroment using a Virtual Machine without nGLide, no 3dfx files of any kind, Direct X9.0c on Windows 2000 SP4 w/Windows 95 compatibility layer enabled for the shortcut, only when I disabled Direct3D did the game use Software mode (and DirectX can be completely disabled for that matter).

If you run the game in software mode, at the fighter selection screen, you'll notice when Direct3D is disabled the game assumes hardware is weak and defaults to interlaced graphics: it doesn't do this when Direct3D is enabled, you can't dynamically adjust the resolution with the +/- keys when Direct3D is active, and there is no shading or filtering (as shown in previous photos).

As you say it can use Glide (thanks for informing me!), but it also uses Direct3D, meaning, from my testing, GyberGladiators can be confirmed of using Direct3D for acceleration and removed from consideration from Glide only.

I wonder why this game is not listed as nGlide compatible for Glide native? It must have been missed and should be added, if so.

https://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide/compatibility

Reply 57 of 68, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Meatball wrote on 2022-12-14, 15:07:

As you say it can use Glide (thanks for informing me!), but it also uses Direct3D, meaning, from my testing, GyberGladiators can be confirmed of using Direct3D for acceleration and removed from consideration from Glide only.

The game not starts on my retroPC in the d3d mode. Cyber.exe is listed in the task manager but does nothing. So CyberGladiators was software/glide in my list.
Tnx for the info.

P.S. There is the "-m -3 -g -w -d -s -p -v -f -f i" string in cyber.exe dump. Run keys? Let's test...

P.S.S. "-w" runs the game in the window mode. Without d3d disabling. And with glide.dll.
"-d" forces the fullscreen software mode.
"-3" looks like d3d forcing (can't test).
"-f" starts a 2P game w/o the main menu. What for?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 58 of 68, by chuky

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Jetfighter 3 seems to be a good candidate. It's a dos game with a 3dfx and mmx patch. You have to press shift+v when flying to switch to the 3dfx rendering. I tried in Pcem 17 unfortunately Pcem crashed when flying when pressing shift+v. I tried emulating a Voodoo 1 and a Voodoo 2. It looks like it should work on real hardware though.

I found the patch on archive.org in the cd of the french magazine Joystick issue 85 from september 1997.
https://archive.org/download/Joystick_Magazin … %2FJF33DFX2.EXE

edit: on the same cd there's a patch for Flying corps for Direct3d. The readme file mentions Matrox and Rendition cards. So it's probably out of the list.
https://archive.org/download/Joystick_Magazin … %2FFCPATCH1.ZIP

Reply 59 of 68, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'll leave CyberGladiators and JetFighter III on the preliminary list until we can verify for certain if they support other APIs.

Meanwhile, I found the Centipede Direct3D patch. Be careful when browsing Fileplanet though. I suggest using ad blockers and such.