VOGONS

First post, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I've recently acquired a used CRT (hp 72), advertised as in working condition. In fact I used it for probably an hour without any problems, but then it randomly made a popping sound and the picture cut for like half a second or so. Today, I was able to record it as it made that sound when switched on, thereafter it worked fine and showed the image without problems.
https://youtu.be/2rfSHcmXKPk

Unfortunately my soldering skills are very basic and I have no experience with CRTs whatsoever, but I would like to learn more about them. From what I've read in other threads it could be a fault in the flyback transformer or the anode cap, which I think service centers should be able to repair.
Basically I'd like to know that it's not the tube itself or any major problem that can't be fixed, before I have it diagnosed in a service center.
I did dare to remove the cover to take some pictures. Some solder joints appear dirty there, could they cause this problem? I guess they all need to be cleaned as well?
As CRTs are not a dime a dozen anymore I don't want to dispose of it easily and try my luck with the next one.

Attachments

• DSC_0581.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0581.JPG
    File size
    1.67 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • DSC_0580.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0580.JPG
    File size
    1.6 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0579.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0579.JPG
    File size
    1.71 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • DSC_0578.JPG
    Filename
    DSC_0578.JPG
    File size
    1.46 MiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

WIth it open, in a dark room, see/hear where the sound comes. It could simply be dirty anode area or the flyback itself and cleaning things up will fix it. My 32" TV had similar issues when I got it and it turned out to be caused by soot on the flyback and tube, occasionally producing a conductive path with a crack sound and momentary loss of HV.

In worst case it is bad flyback and it is not likely you can find a replacement. Cleaning it all up very properly can still help but you first should see where exactly that noise is happening.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by kdr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It could just be a bit of dust/moisture from sitting in storage for a long time.

I picked up a CRT that was in good working condition, great picture, but had obviously been in storage for a loooooong time. It made a lot of snapping/popping noises when first powered on, but over the next 5-10 hours of usage the frequency of the snapping and popping decreased a lot. Now it's at the point where there might be one sharp snap (with the picture temporarily distorting) once a week or so. I did give the internals a good clean but this didn't make much difference, so my assumption is that the flyback is just a bit worn out and will eventually die.

Reply 5 of 6, by Kalle

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the replies. As I couldn't open it without removing its stand I was too reluctant to turn it on with the cover removed. I did remove dust using compressed air as well as I could.
Finally I decided to find a store nearby that still fixes CRTs and had it checked there. Took a long while, in the end it wasn't fixed, had to leave the CRTs for longer, in the end the technician said that the tube itself was broken and it was somehow tricky to diagnose. He organized another used CRT instead which he claims is in perfect condition. I got it two days ago, hopefully this one will last a bit longer.

Reply 6 of 6, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My old Goldstar CRT that came with 386 used to make popping noise with picture being cut for a fraction of second as well. It occurred only when the monitor was very warm. The solution was to disassemble it and clean all the dust. It only happened every few months and the monitor served for many years.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS