VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i blew up my winxp installation by merely typing in my profile password (black screen with system registry corruption and all restore points mysteriously disappeared--no file system corruption whatsoever). given how fragile xp turned out to be i really don't have a desire to rebuild. the system is dual-booted with win98se so i'm just going to go with that.

i previously softmoded my radeon 9800se to unlock the pixel pipelines with the omega drivers, but i find none were ever released for win9x. at this late date i'm having difficulty finding any info on how to accomplish the softmod under win98se--if it's even possible. i'd be fine with manually editing a .sys file or loading a tool on every startup. i just need instructions on how to proceed. does anyone here remember this stuff? thanks.

Reply 2 of 21, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh, i didn't realize there was a win9x omega series. my research suggests the drivers you linked to were the last ati win9x omega drivers released which only support up to the radeon 9250.

i tried installing rivatuner which i kind of remember could perform the softmod, but none of the win9x drivers appear to be supported.

if this is even possible i think it's going to come down to manually editing sys files...still trying to find instructions on old websites.

Reply 5 of 21, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DonCatoli wrote on 2022-12-24, 00:30:

Why not flash the card with a VBIOS that unlocks the pipes?

I have a 9800 SE that I've unlocked with the Omega drivers - I've looked around and haven't been able to find a BIOS or flashing tool to do that. If you know of a site that still has such available, please link to it.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 6 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh man, back in the day I was the guy to talk to about this but can’t remember much of it now.

I remember I used rabit? (radeon bios editor) and atiflash? All the time with great success from within windows xp?

I think the trick is finding a radeon 9800 xt or pro that has the same ram as yours and using its bios. From there you could edit the hardware ID if you wanted to match other cards and also could edit the clock. Once happy with the config, match the bios ram timing of your old card and save the file. Then flash it.

Post a pic on f your card front and back please.

A gpu and ram close up might also help

I believe 9800 series used two different gpu revisions

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 21, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i think this is the card. i'll have to read the bios identifier to be sure, but i remember it had the later r360 chip revision and the absolute slowest memory clock of any 9800 se released.

https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/97/powerc … 28-hynix-030702

softmod was so easy and the card was a poor overclocker that i never bothered looking further into flashing anything else. although i do have an x1050 that i might be motivated to mod into a 9600 pro.

i'll check out the omega drivers. current driver revision is 4.15.1.9165 so we'll see how far behind the omega drivers are.

Reply 8 of 21, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Repo Man11 wrote on 2022-12-24, 01:01:
DonCatoli wrote on 2022-12-24, 00:30:

Why not flash the card with a VBIOS that unlocks the pipes?

I have a 9800 SE that I've unlocked with the Omega drivers - I've looked around and haven't been able to find a BIOS or flashing tool to do that. If you know of a site that still has such available, please link to it.

You cannot flash it to unlock the pipes without modifying resistors on gpu package. There is group of 4 resistors that control pipe quads and whether the card is firegl or Radeon. Softmd is most convenient. Flash works only for clocks.

95009700pro1.jpg
Filename
95009700pro1.jpg
File size
21.67 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
95009700pro2.jpg
Filename
95009700pro2.jpg
File size
21.43 KiB
Views
File license

Source: https://t.ly/zUXu

Reply 9 of 21, by ala_borbe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There was a method to dump your bios and mod it to unlock the pipes and flash back
Remember doing it myself back in the day and unlocking radeon 9500 to radeon 9700 with similar method
https://www.overclock.net/threads/guide-to-ra … modding.149501/

or you can back up your bios and flash some unlocked bios with same speed/chip model
https://web.archive.org/web/20040722175735/ht … oftmod/bios.php

Reply 10 of 21, by stef80

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bios is moddable with X800/x850 and also FireGL X3. Not sure about R3xx cards.

EDIT: I checked few BIOSes with HEX editor. Looks similar to X800/850 but I can't find common denominator for pipe quad unmasking.

Reply 11 of 21, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

well damn, i'd like to try out these win9x omega drivers, but every copy i've run across online, including from the link above and vogonsdrivers.com, is corrupted. one of the driver cab files fails the crc32 check during installation and if you click ignore it just bombs out later on with a file not found.

Reply 12 of 21, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-01-02, 11:05:

well damn, i'd like to try out these win9x omega drivers, but every copy i've run across online, including from the link above and vogonsdrivers.com, is corrupted. one of the driver cab files fails the crc32 check during installation and if you click ignore it just bombs out later on with a file not found.

I have a copy of rad_w9x_omega_2637 (catalyst 4.2) driver which worked fine in w98 with the unofficial update pack installed. Picture shows the score difference of the unlock.

9800se comparision.png
Filename
9800se comparision.png
File size
227.43 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by timsdf on 2023-01-02, 14:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 21, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Link here seems to have download for that driver. Maybe you need some newer verion of dx9 or .net installation.

sirotkaslo wrote on 2022-12-21, 09:05:

Reply 14 of 21, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

if you have a good copy of the 2637 installer you should upload it. i get this from everything i've been able to download:

Screenshot_2023-01-02_15-07-00.png
Filename
File size
33.62 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 15 of 21, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-01-02, 21:10:

if you have a good copy of the 2637 installer you should upload it. i get this from everything i've been able to download:

I checked my copy is identical to the site linked. Are you sure you don't have some hardware / software mismatch? The omega installer also includes 2 extra programs for switching resolution and overclocking if I remember correctly.

I recommend to install the autopatcher 2007 since I have always used it on my w98 installations with this "new" hardware.

I'm not sure if there is rules to linking downloads like this but link to my copy:
https://anonfiles.com/H6a2OeP9y9/rad_w9x_omeg … atalyst_4.2_exe

Reply 16 of 21, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yeah, your upload has the identical hash. i'm not sure what's going on, but i ran the installer under win7 and there was no crc error so i copied the extracted files to win98se and the drivers installed fine. ultimately, i reverted back to the last ati released driver (4.15.1.9165) and used a rivatuner script to unlock the pipelines.

this method was pretty accessible, but the instructions were painfully difficult to locate until i got the win9x modded filename (ati2vxag.vxd) search term from the omega drivers. at that point i even found instructions for this procedure buried on vogons.org.

i installed rivatuner 2.24c and found a win9x radeon 9x00 softmod script in the patchscripts folder. i selected 9800 and although the script complained the target file wasn't a recognized version, the softmod succeeded anyway.

man, back in the day i probably knew all about this stuff and forgot it all. i wouldn't be surprised if i used (the xp ver of) this exact script at some point.

Reply 17 of 21, by timsdf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for writing your solution. I never tried the rivatuner method since omega drivers always worked. Doing the softmod manually is probably nicer since then you don't need to install all the extras of omega driver to get it working and can use any driver between catalyst 4.2 - 6.2.

Reply 18 of 21, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

question:

will force installing a radeon 9800 xt driver accomplish the same effect?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 19 of 21, by Geri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was able to bios flash 9800pro cards to 9800se (to fix issues related to dead pipelines) in the late 2000s.
I dont know if it works the other way around.

If someone needs the bios files and flasher, send me your retroshare hidden node id (with automatic tor setup) and download it from my computer. I cant add clearnet nodes so tor nodes only.

TitaniumGL the OpenGL to D3D wrapper:
http://users.atw.hu/titaniumgl/index.html