VOGONS

First post, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is the maximum length of a SLI cable for a pair of Voodoo2 cards? I don't think there's an official answer, since (I think) all cards came with the same cable. Has anyone tried a custom cable that's longer than the standard cable? Any issues?

Reply 1 of 8, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I can't tell you the max length but I made one long enough to leave two PCI slots between the cards. I had no problems using it but I didn't like the look so I shortened it to only leave one slot inbetween.😅

Reply 2 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RaverX wrote on 2022-12-29, 15:19:

What is the maximum length of a SLI cable for a pair of Voodoo2 cards? I don't think there's an official answer, since (I think) all cards came with the same cable. Has anyone tried a custom cable that's longer than the standard cable? Any issues?

If you take a look at the Canopus Pure3D II Voodoo2's, those come from the factory with much longer cables since the SLI connectors are relocated toward the center of the PCB. So, if you build a quality cable it will be fine.

http://www.thedodgegarage.com/3dfx/boxes/box_ … _pure3d2_lx.jpg

Reply 3 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

file.php?id=153677&mode=view

file.php?id=153678&mode=view

How long do you need it? How many slot spaces?

Could make a longer version.
Re: 3Dfx Voodoo 2 PCB SLI Bridge / SLI Cable

Alternately, you may be able to use a modified (twisted) 80-“pin” ide cable if you found a 34 pin (2x17) connector for it.

Or a modified (twisted) floppy cable.

I think the pcb is by far the best way though.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 4 of 8, by RaverX

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-29, 18:48:

About 20 cm... The cards are not installed in a standard motherboard, there's a pci "riser" and I have pci slots on both sides and I want to use both sides. That way I can see a side for each V2 card.

Reply 6 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, sounds like a modified standard floppy cable is gonna be the way this goes 😀

RaverX wrote on 2022-12-29, 19:38:
Sphere478 wrote on 2022-12-29, 18:48:

About 20 cm... The cards are not installed in a standard motherboard, there's a pci "riser" and I have pci slots on both sides and I want to use both sides. That way I can see a side for each V2 card.

Ah ,Post pics so we can see what you are working with.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 8 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, makes sense now. Yeah try reconfiguring a old floppy cable! 😀

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-