VOGONS

First post, by Calidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello all,

I'm in need of some help, as I'm planning to buy either a S3 Trio64v+ or Trio64V2/DX for DOS compatibility of a build I'm putting together. I already have a 3D AGP card (Matrox G400), so decided on an S3 card due to the easy availability on eBay where I live.

However, I know to usually look for the 'premium' brands like Diamond, Hercules, ELSA, Orchid, STB, etc but for this card, they are either not available or too expensive (there's more that I could import but the price jumps rather sharply).

There are plenty of other brands I've not heard much of and was wondering if anyone can recommend or know what the brands quality usually is like? I personally want one with a nice output as I'll be using it with a CRT. So here are of brands which are either cheap or affordable:

Acorp, Expertcolor, Fastware, Aristo, Sector International or HIS (I recognise HIS but from more recent Radeons and not sure how they were back in the day)

Are any of these worth getting or should I just wait for a more recognised brand?

Thanks in advance.

Reply 1 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even with a recognized brand, S3 chips can be hit-or-miss. I've had the best luck with LeadTek/WinFast (should be on the cheaper side), AOpen, and STB. Diamond has been some good, some bad. I define bad as suffering from the black level bug, which there are workarounds documented here. Otherwise, any s3 should just work - they are reliable workhorses. Since they are all basically fine, I start looking at how much onboard VRAM is present and how fast is it rated.

Reply 2 of 5, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hello.

One brand worth looking is Cardex, which was from Gainward. No-name cards usually tend to have lower memory clock speed and/or mediocre image quality.

Also worth looking are the S3 ViRGE cards, having good DOS compatibility like the Trio64 line. The best one I have used is the Compaq ViRGE/GX which has high quality components and doesn't have the brightness bug, see if you can find it at a lower price.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 5, by Calidus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Meatball wrote on 2023-01-14, 01:02:

Even with a recognized brand, S3 chips can be hit-or-miss. I've had the best luck with LeadTek/WinFast (should be on the cheaper side), AOpen, and STB. Diamond has been some good, some bad. I define bad as suffering from the black level bug, which there are workarounds documented here. Otherwise, any s3 should just work - they are reliable workhorses. Since they are all basically fine, I start looking at how much onboard VRAM is present and how fast is it rated.

I've been trying to look at ones with the socketed memory already filled, although I have found an odd one which has all the memory socketed, seemingly you can just change it all to the same type. None are soldered.

Thanks again, maybe I'll make a gamble and see what happens if even the recognised are hit and miss. I'll keep a look out for the ones you've mentioned though.

Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-01-14, 01:13:

Hello.

One brand worth looking is Cardex, which was from Gainward. No-name cards usually tend to have lower memory clock speed and/or mediocre image quality.

Also worth looking are the S3 ViRGE cards, having good DOS compatibility like the Trio64 line. The best one I have used is the Compaq ViRGE/GX which has high quality components and doesn't have the brightness bug, see if you can find it at a lower price.

I have looked at Virge cards but most are DX, there was one GX but was in rather poor condition (corrosion). The Trio's tend to cost less here, but I'll keep them in mind if I don't find a sufficient one. Thanks ^^

Reply 5 of 5, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you'd like more s3 information, you'll find the reviews by Putas (seen floating around this forum from time to time) particularly helpful and an enjoyable read:

https://vintage3d.org/

And here's some valuable work for the 2D side of things by arncht:

Fastest video card for DOS, Socket 3 VLB / Socket 5 / Socket 7 / Slot 1 FPS comparison