VOGONS

First post, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now peaks at 81 instead of 91, and idles at 40 instead of 50.

Installed a fan at the back of the case through the slots sucking air out.

4s4F4sG.jpg

Attached an old xeon heatsink to the card, just letting it hang freely from the card.

LUARph3.jpg

If i put thermal paste between the heatsink and the 480 im sure ill get some more as well.

Any other hacks i can use to get this thing running even cooler?

Reply 3 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The biggest flaw is the blower wheel itself that Nvidia is using no matter what. Very poor pressure and CFM no matter how rpm is. Also fine pitch blades blowers out there depends on flow to maintain pressure but fine pitch also limits the CFM. And the heatsink itself impacts the CFM will require nvidia blower to work harder.

The good blowers are lower number of, longer and larger, blades works best but need compounding in series, use two will work well. 23 blades or so is about right.

Axial fans even two in series does not help with pressure while maintaining reasonable noise level, I had experimented already.

You will have to make shounds to duct two blowers in series to the GPU with the fan in the GPU removed. May need to fool GPU with another PWM fan.

Server heatsinks is *heavy*, around 3lbs and larger than 10cm or more and are mostly copper, admittedly is best stuff. Many have heat pipes that get in the way if you drill to bolt directly to the GPU.

Good way is compound the blower with another axial fan in series to increase pressure and will help improve the CFM too and less noisy.
The BEST is use two backward curved blowers in series at less volts will *increase* the pressure without increasing noise overall. Papst centrifugal blowers like this will be best and noise is nice.

Best blowers is like this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165895845122?hash=ite … ABk9SR9a2nLnGYQ
And another:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/354525493052?hash=ite … ABk9SR97kzaPDYQ

I bought these from this seller and does have good specs, you can undervolt to slow rpm down. Max rpm is 5100rpm at about 61 dba sound.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/293621227651?hash=ite … ABk9SR4i4uLnGYQ

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 5 of 16, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-09, 00:47:
The biggest flaw is the blower wheel itself that Nvidia is using no matter what. Very poor pressure and CFM no matter how rpm […]
Show full quote

The biggest flaw is the blower wheel itself that Nvidia is using no matter what. Very poor pressure and CFM no matter how rpm is. Also fine pitch blades blowers out there depends on flow to maintain pressure but fine pitch also limits the CFM. And the heatsink itself impacts the CFM will require nvidia blower to work harder.

The good blowers are lower number of, longer and larger, blades works best but need compounding in series, use two will work well. 23 blades or so is about right.

Axial fans even two in series does not help with pressure while maintaining reasonable noise level, I had experimented already.

You will have to make shounds to duct two blowers in series to the GPU with the fan in the GPU removed. May need to fool GPU with another PWM fan.

Server heatsinks is *heavy*, around 3lbs and larger than 10cm or more and are mostly copper, admittedly is best stuff. Many have heat pipes that get in the way if you drill to bolt directly to the GPU.

Good way is compound the blower with another axial fan in series to increase pressure and will help improve the CFM too and less noisy.
The BEST is use two backward curved blowers in series at less volts will *increase* the pressure without increasing noise overall. Papst centrifugal blowers like this will be best and noise is nice.

Best blowers is like this:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/165895845122?hash=ite … ABk9SR9a2nLnGYQ
And another:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/354525493052?hash=ite … ABk9SR97kzaPDYQ

I bought these from this seller and does have good specs, you can undervolt to slow rpm down. Max rpm is 5100rpm at about 61 dba sound.
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/293621227651?hash=ite … ABk9SR4i4uLnGYQ

Cheers,

Awesome thanks for that info!

Reply 7 of 16, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you've got the patience, you can also hunt for sweet spots, it's some interaction of the core and RAM speeds that makes throughput higher, I guess due to less half cycle misses or something for common operations. However, IDK if it's proven to translate to actual game FPS or just affects benchmarks. Anyhoo, what it means is your score can bump a few percent even though you downclock the core a few mhz. Have to go like 1Mhz a time, test, it's tedious. Very far away of course you get lower and lower scores, but there seems to be ranges in which score is plus or minus a bit. Don't rely on benches known to be tweaky between runs, i.e. show a lot of variation, or you'll chase phantoms.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 8 of 16, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh man! This brings back memories of a system I had back in 2011. It used to make the paint on the wall behind it soft when it was at full steam.

Attachments

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 9 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yawnald wrote on 2023-02-13, 16:12:

Oh man! This brings back memories of a system I had back in 2011. It used to make the paint on the wall behind it soft when it was at full steam.

How the tearing and skips?

Second, what games you were playing on these 3x SLI? Finally, What GPU cards in this triple SLI?

Cheers,

Reply 10 of 16, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cut the air flow restrictors off the 480's card slot mount and you will reduce the temperature quite a bit AND the noise will go down as well.

I did that with my 7970 cards and it made quite a difference.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 11 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2023-02-15, 01:53:

Cut the air flow restrictors off the 480's card slot mount and you will reduce the temperature quite a bit AND the noise will go down as well.

I did that with my 7970 cards and it made quite a difference.

I can confirm. Tried this by removing the bracket and I get less temp on one video card.

Cheers,

Reply 12 of 16, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-13, 19:26:
How the tearing and skips? […]
Show full quote

Second, what games you were playing on these 3x SLI? Finally, What GPU cards in this triple SLI?

Cheers,

Honestly, it was fine. I've had some good sli setups and some bad setups, but I remember this machine being far on the good side. Back then, I would have been using it for modded Oblivion, the Stalker games, and similar stuff. I remember Mafia 2 running like a dream on that machine.

All three were standard evga GTX 480s. Back when these released, evga was VERY inconsistent with both the side labeling, AND the color of the pcb itself (along the edge, see how these three are slightly orange? they had a green/yellow variant as well). My OCD got the best of me, and we actually ended up with 5 of these cards. I bought three for the initial build. Two had a yellow/green pcb, one had orange. Two had evga stickers, one had the "geforce" labeling. This couldn't stand, so I ordered another single card. It had an orange PCB, but instead of the "geforce" label, it had an evga sticker. So, I ordered ANOTHER single card, and this one came with an orange PCB and the "geforce" label! I decided to live with the three orange cards with mismatched labels, and my ex wife also scored a 2 way sli rig with the green pcb 480s. 🤣

Then I bolted on the evga backplates and high flow brackets on all three. The temps that the center gpu was seeing didn't show an increase.

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 13 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yawnald wrote on 2023-02-25, 18:28:
Honestly, it was fine. I've had some good sli setups and some bad setups, but I remember this machine being far on the good side […]
Show full quote
How the tearing and skips? […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Honestly, it was fine. I've had some good sli setups and some bad setups, but I remember this machine being far on the good side. Back then, I would have been using it for modded Oblivion, the Stalker games, and similar stuff. I remember Mafia 2 running like a dream on that machine.

All three were standard evga GTX 480s. Back when these released, evga was VERY inconsistent with both the side labeling, AND the color of the pcb itself (along the edge, see how these three are slightly orange? they had a green/yellow variant as well). My OCD got the best of me, and we actually ended up with 5 of these cards. I bought three for the initial build. Two had a yellow/green pcb, one had orange. Two had evga stickers, one had the "geforce" labeling. This couldn't stand, so I ordered another single card. It had an orange PCB, but instead of the "geforce" label, it had an evga sticker. So, I ordered ANOTHER single card, and this one came with an orange PCB and the "geforce" label! I decided to live with the three orange cards with mismatched labels, and my ex wife also scored a 2 way sli rig with the green pcb 480s. 🤣

Then I bolted on the evga backplates and high flow brackets on all three. The temps that the center gpu was seeing didn't show an increase.

Do you know the details to set up a SLI rig that will behave well?

I have two GTX 580 cards.

Cheers,

Reply 14 of 16, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-25, 23:39:
Do you know the details to set up a SLI rig that will behave well? […]
Show full quote
Honestly, it was fine. I've had some good sli setups and some bad setups, but I remember this machine being far on the good side […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

Cheers,

Are you having a specific problem with your setup? Tearing and skips?
What are the rest of the specs? Which games?

Mr. Tualatin

Reply 15 of 16, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yawnald wrote on 2023-03-01, 00:24:
Do you know the details to set up a SLI rig that will behave well? […]
Show full quote

Cheers,

What I mean about your experiences with bad and good SLI setups, I have not yet built it up yet.

The information out there by google is full of doo doo's like don't do SLI blah blah, I'm not satisified with their talk, what I wanted is actual experineces with bad and good, in some cases fixed the issues?

Cheers,

Cheers,

Reply 16 of 16, by Yawnald

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-03-01, 00:55:
What I mean about your experiences with bad and good SLI setups, I have not yet built it up yet. […]
Show full quote
Yawnald wrote on 2023-03-01, 00:24:

Cheers,

What I mean about your experiences with bad and good SLI setups, I have not yet built it up yet.

The information out there by google is full of doo doo's like don't do SLI blah blah, I'm not satisified with their talk, what I wanted is actual experineces with bad and good, in some cases fixed the issues?

Cheers,

Cheers,

Having fun with Nvidia SLi is a mindset, I guess. The most important thing you can do is temper your expectations and be ready to tweak and troubleshoot. There are quite a few titles out there that work almost flawlessly out of the box, but there's even more that require tweaking. NV Profile Inspector will be your friend. People always like to poo poo on stuff they don't understand, and listening to someone bash it without having any first hand experience gets old.

My "bad" setups were mostly hardware problems. They required throwing even more money at an already expensive setup. For example, I had a brand new triple GTX 280 setup that was drawing a PC Power and Cooling 1KWSR PSU down enough to cause random instability. It was so sporadic, tough to nail down. Once I narrowed it down, I had to splash out for a PCP&C 1200 watt unit. Another time, I had three GTX 285s running on a first gen Asus P6T7 Supercomputer board. The first gen boards didn't have a supplementary connector of any kind on board for pcie slot power. Well, eventually it caused the 24 pin ATX connector to get hot enough to discolor. The instability started soon after. Solution was purchasing a gen 2 P6T7, which had a supplementary molex on board, and I also switched from the PCP&C 1200 watt PSU to a Corsair AX1200, which happens to be the same unit in use in the pictures of my triple 480 setup. Later down the line in 2012, I built a dual GTX 690 quad GPU setup that just never played nice. It sure was pretty, though. Sandy Bridge-E S2011 stuff. This was my third quad setup, I had a dual Radeon 5970 and a quad 7970 before it. Both were decent.

These problems sucked because the systems were still current, and the parts weren't cheap at all. Now that multi-GPU is long dead, these parts just keep on getting cheaper and cheaper. Great time to tinker with an older SLi setup, IMO! Don't wait too long, though. I'm afraid that, just like the older stuff, this gear will eventually start to come up in price again. Dive in, have fun, and ENJOY the heat and noise!

Mr. Tualatin