VOGONS

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all

I don't quite understand why I'm being limited to a 1024 x 768 resolution (or 1280 x 720 works as well since I have a 2560 x 1440 display) on my W98 retro machine.

I run a Siluro Geforce 4 Ti 64MB Ram in the AGP slot on a P3B-F Motherboard. The whole thing runs through a DVI-HDMI adapter and works overall fine, but not with resolutions higher than that. Many nvidia drivers I install end up giving be blackscreens probably because of resolution issues as well.

I don't get it. The HDMI-in of my screen supports all kinds of resolutions, including 1280x1024, 1600x1200, 1920x1200 etc. The GPU has a DVI-D port that should go up to 1600x1200 easily.... Apparently, the DVI-HDMI adapter should also qualify for higher resolutions.

Is this a common occurrence for some reason? I tried newer Nvidia drivers under Win98 and didn't get any different results. The nvidia control panels even tells me that I can't go higher than 1024x768 as it is the maximum the monitor supports. Yet it will actually allow me to chose higher res, but they won't work.

Any idea what needs fixing? The monitor? The adapter?

Reply 1 of 8, by LSS10999

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Which driver version are you using? It seems with Win9x drivers only 4:3 resolutions work most reliably, especially with older video cards prior to 6 series (NV4x). Getting non-4:3 resolutions to work on Win9x can be difficult. WinXP drivers, on the other hand, can use widescreen resolutions fine.

I'm not sure about the possibility of dual-link DVI on your video card, but since you're using DVI-HDMI, it doesn't matter as it'll always be single-link (165Mhz), so the maximum resolution you can attain would be limited. Up to 1920x1080/60Hz should be possible under this cap.

Active DVI-HDMI adapters that can take in a dual-link DVI source from video card do not exist as far as I know. Some cables/adapters claim they support 1440p or even 4K, are not entirely true, as such resolutions require more recent video cards, whose DVI ports can be made to actually output HDMI 2.x streams instead of real DVI.

EDIT: I think you should check the resolution shown in your monitor's OSD, as modern monitors tend to just scale lower resolutions to the monitor's native ones (so the resolution shown on the OSD is always the same), and some combinations of video cards and cables may not like that.

Reply 3 of 8, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-02-19, 16:22:

DVI port on GF4 is limited to 720p resolution when run via passive HDMI adapter.
Use VGA to DVI active adapter to bypass this limitation.

huh interesting, didn't know that... thanks

Does it have to be VGA to DVI active adapter or would VGA to HDMI also work? Because I have one and it's the same thing actually, but I also seem to fail to get it to run as a sole output. Seems like the Nvidia panel only allows me to use the vga port as a secondary output for display extension.

BTW I tried the following drivers:
28.32 GPU not recognised
29.42. boots to black screen
30.82 works at 1024x768
53.04 works at 1024x768

Edit: I just tried out my VGI-HDMI adapter and it's the same thing (Minus the boot sequence which isn't shown at all under VGA.)

I'm using a Roline DVI to HDMI adapter and one of this standard VGA-HDMI adapters with a USB port for power.

Reply 4 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

on my AGP FX5200 card with both VGA and DVI output, the DVI port only works up to 1440x960

this is due to a TMDS transmitter limitation as far as I can tell, the VGA output works at higher resolutions even when connected to the exact same display

Reply 6 of 8, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-02-19, 21:09:

I ordered an EXTRON RGB-HDMI 300 A to see how that works. I can always resell it if I don't like it.

that's a fantastic scaler, even if it doesn't solve this specific problem they are super handy to keep around

Reply 7 of 8, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2023-02-19, 21:45:
d3vilsadvocate wrote on 2023-02-19, 21:09:

I ordered an EXTRON RGB-HDMI 300 A to see how that works. I can always resell it if I don't like it.

that's a fantastic scaler, even if it doesn't solve this specific problem they are super handy to keep around

Shouldn‘t it solve that problem? I mean it will output FullHd which my monitor supports so I guess it should work no?

I guess I’ll need one anyways and it‘s not too expensive. My monitor doesn‘t show any input 240p resolutions and probably a few others, hence the need for scaling. I might get an OSSC device if required but I’m afraid my mon won‘t output anything with 70Hz…

The one thing that worries me about this hobby is that all of these tools (i.e. upscalers like the 300-A) are no longer being produced… Buying this stuff might no longer be possible 5 years from now.