VOGONS

First post, by rendoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Hoping someone can help me with this little issue.
I've got a old Diamond monster 3d card 4 mb , but when I start the demo after installing the drivers i've got red lines on my monitor. See attachment.
Is this meaning that the pci card is broken or is it a driver issue?

I've tried different drivers but that makes no difference.

The system is a compaq P3 1 Ghz and i am using the onboard vga card with a passtrough cable. OS is W98SE.

Attachments

486DX4 100 Mhz - Finished Project
PII 350 MHz - W98se Voodoo banshee project on hold
PIII 1.0
AMD 3200+ 1.1 GHz mhz - Windows XP backup pc
IBM Thinkpad R40 P4 2GHz - W98se Dos laptop
Dell D410 - Linux mint laptop
INTEL I5 Daily Windows 10 desktop = SOLD

Reply 2 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get exactly this kind of results on a machine that is too fast with a V1. I'm not quite sure at what point the cards stop working but I have got positive results on a 500MHz range CPU (and slower).

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This issue with the Voodoo Graphics card happens with faster CPUs as the others mentioned, using a slower one (450-500 MHz or below, it isn't consistent and depends on the FSB speed) alleviates this.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 8, by rendoh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oke thx allot. I will try this card in a older P2 350 mhz pc next time.

486DX4 100 Mhz - Finished Project
PII 350 MHz - W98se Voodoo banshee project on hold
PIII 1.0
AMD 3200+ 1.1 GHz mhz - Windows XP backup pc
IBM Thinkpad R40 P4 2GHz - W98se Dos laptop
Dell D410 - Linux mint laptop
INTEL I5 Daily Windows 10 desktop = SOLD

Reply 5 of 8, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting! I have the same card as you, and when testing in Pentium III 1GHz machine, I get this, more or less the same. I was afraid the card is dead, there were some bent pins on one of the chips, but now there is a hope! 😀

Attachments

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 7 of 8, by sledge

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I can now confirm that it's the speed what's causing problems. I've tested the card with P200MMX machine, and it works flawlessly 😀

doshaven.eu / high-voltage.cz

Reply 8 of 8, by dr.zeissler

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

diamond monster 3D use anything up to P2/333Mhz if you want to use D3D, Glide, OpenGL.
If you use something with more power you will get issues on certain D3D games, with opengl and glide you can use faster machines, but I would recomend using a P2/333 and stick to DX5/6 with maximal 2.46 driver for most compatibilty.

you can still tweak the Voodoo1 via batchfile in order to get the most out of it. I recommend using 75hz for the voodoo and 60hz for the main gfx-card. then the image is mostly centered on both gfx cards.

Retro-Gamer 😀 ...on different machines