VOGONS

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve noticed that some of the newer Dell monitors like the U2421E have compatibility for lower resolutions including 640x480, 800x600 and even 720x400@70Hz and more. Usually they come with a manual specifying all available resolutions.

Does anyone have a retro setup with a newer dell monitor? Any quirks or does it work well? Would 320x240 work as well on these displays?

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

LCD in general, will always translate VGA high color mode as text mode (720X400). 320X240 will work as 640x480.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by Paul_V

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I do not own U2421E, I'm currently using Dell U2412M.
As far as I can tell they seem to be similar even in menu structure, both are 16:10 and both have scaler menu settings.

My U2412M is more than decent. You can choose between 16:10, 4:3 and 5:4 which makes scaling easier.
Does the job better than HP LP2065 in my opinion.

For example:
With Wing Commander Privateer running at 16:10 fullscreen you'll have circle-shapes instead of ovals.
Other games scale better at 4:3 or 5:4 (but you'll have black bars on the sides)

I could take a picture to show how the game scales if you're interested

Reply 3 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have a couple of HP EliteDisplay E201's so while not Dell are still not really "gaming" screens as such and the 3 lowest supported resolutions are the same you list above. Main problem is below 640x480 is it doesn't let you keep the aspect ratio stretching everything out. As Paul_V said some games are more forgiving. Warcraft for example was playable, not great but not terrible. Doom on the other hand was awful.

For Win98 games running in the supported modes the screens are great. Black bars don't bother me, but dos I'd still use something else.