VOGONS

First post, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Innovision 12MB Voodoo2 I recently bought on ebay. It's paired with a GeForce4 TI 4200 AGP on a Intel 440BX board with 512mb RAM a Pentium 3 500mhz and Windows ME.

I have tried the 4.6 fastvoodoo drivers as well as the last reference drivers from Phil's site. The o lay thing extra I have added is the voodoo2 tweaker control panel. Although that seems useless as setting any of my 640*480 or higher resolutions to 75 hz only further breakers everything.

I have tried NFS 3 Hot Pursuit and NFS 4 High Stakes as well as Test Drive off road 2. Bot NFS games will turn to a black screen or garbled screen at the menu after videos play. Test Drive OR2 complained that glide2x.dll was not found so I placed it in the application folder and it starts but as soon as I enter the race the graphics will render and then the game becomes unresponsive and I have for force close it.

So...is my card just dead or do I have something driver related going on? I can't figure out what to do and if it needs to be returned I need to narrow it down to that. Not sure what I can do to further test it. But I've tried three glide games and all fail to work.

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have another system you can test it with?

First thing I would do is test it in a different setup to rule out things like hardware conflicts or potential software issues.

If you get the same results, then it's a stronger indication that it could be a problem with the card itself.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 7, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't currently have another system ready to go for testing. I tried running demos from the fastvoodoo install folder but it complains it can't find the correct DLL files. I'm going to try a complete removal of the 3dfx software again and clean up registry entries and try and install the older 3.03.0 driver

Reply 3 of 7, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It'd try testing with Unreal Gold and/or Turok Dinosaur Hunter after you refresh the drivers. These two games are practically guaranteed to run on every 3dfx card regardless of how messed up the system. EA games, especially anything sports related, from this period can be quirky.

Reply 4 of 7, by Nemo1985

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

May I advise to try the 3dfx glide sdk? They could help to troubleshoot the problem, I recently saw this video and it has a pretty useful tips about it:
https://youtu.be/tRFucW4uB5k?list=FLB7pZNUnFN … VjanFWJfA&t=341

Reply 5 of 7, by 9646gt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you all for the help. For whatever reason, completely removing the drivers for the 10th time and falling back to the 3.03 drivers seems to have worked perfectly. I doubt I'll miss out much on anything with the later driver anyway and I'm scared to screw it all up by upgrading again hah.

Reply 6 of 7, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
9646gt wrote on 2023-03-04, 04:46:

Thank you all for the help. For whatever reason, completely removing the drivers for the 10th time and falling back to the 3.03 drivers seems to have worked perfectly. I doubt I'll miss out much on anything with the later driver anyway and I'm scared to screw it all up by upgrading again hah.

3DFX drivers can be hit or miss and later revisions don't always work well.