VOGONS

First post, by RetroVixen2K

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got LCD framerate issues in DOS so I bought a 3850HD AGP. I had a lot of success the last time with a pair of 6990HD cards using Blackwingcat's modded drivers. but then the capacitors and board failed and that was a completely different build.

right now I have windows 2000 loaded up with SP5, the installer update and extended kernel 3-c or 3-I. I think. the newer versions are in .wmu or .WIM format or whatever the hell the direct system level installer format is. (if you know how to install those please tell me)

I'm following the archived directions but I can't speak or read japanese so I can't double check on his original site as google translate despite working really well for once seems to be cutting out something important somewhere in favor of correct grammar and readability.

Am I overlooking something simple here? like a normal missing update. or do I need a VGA update? the VGA update files he posted link to nowhere now.

I've seen many others manage to do this with that specific card and even I had limited success before with other cards. I've tried multiple motherboards too.

THE PROBLEM PRESENTS AS FOLLOWS:
installation from hardware manager seems to go smoothly, no errors, no problems. until it reboots. then it goes and loads up windows and crashes just before login when the drivers are loaded up. then the cycle repeats in a never ending bootloop until I manually revert changes to the last known good configuration. I apologize in advance as I can't exactly screenshot the problem as its an error with no bluescreen and it goes really fast. I've tried multiple versions of the driver too. he has a bunch listed.

I really need some help with this. and before anyone says "just use CRT and a graphics card meant for it" I do not have the money at the ridiculous prices and even if I did I no longer am as young and strong as I used to be to deal with one of those heavy monsters. I've tried smaller LCD screens but they just chew up commander keen the same way as larger ones until its unplayable. DOS loves the card at any resolution LCD but the windows 2000 doesn't for some reason.

what am I doing wrong here?

"Okay. Look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret. But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster." ~ GlaDOS

Reply 1 of 3, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AMD graphics drivers are hit or miss best of times, modded drivers only lessen the success rate. I'm no Nvidia fanboy driver stability is why I mostly have nvidia cards but as you already have the card guess its a bit late for that now.

Any reason you cant upgrade to WinXP? at least you have official driver support limiting points of failure?

Just throwing out alternatives as not sure a fix exists for your exact issue.
and no need to defend your choice of screen. CRT's are big, heavy, old, and take up alot of space, its a luxury many of us cant accommodate.

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Blackwingcat reads and posts on the MSFN forum so you can always ask there.
For the download site you can access it in English http://win2k.org/wlu/wluen.htm
If you are trying to use drivers that don't support 2000 then you'll likely need to install Extended Core.
I'm confused about why you are mentioning DOS and then 2000 but your post is pretty much all about 2000. Are you running DOS games in NTVDM or are you dual-booting between DOS/9x and 2000?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
RetroVixen2K wrote on 2023-03-08, 17:44:

right now I have windows 2000 loaded up with SP5, the installer update and extended kernel 3-c or 3-I. I think. the newer versions are in .wmu or .WIM format or whatever the hell the direct system level installer format is. (if you know how to install those please tell me)

There is a wlupdate.vbe script that is supposed to install those. Alternatively, just use 7zip to extract the .wlu file and then run setup.

Am I overlooking something simple here? like a normal missing update. or do I need a VGA update? the VGA update files he posted link to nowhere now.

Which catalyst version are you working with? AFAIK the 8.x, 9.x, 10.x don't have special dependencies, but 11.x and up need to have the extended kernel. 12.x and 13.x have a problem with video overlay or something causing BSODs so be wary of those.

I've used an HD 3850 on Win2000 before, so it should be possible.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad