VOGONS

First post, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The card pictured below is working perfectly fine. However, I don't quite like the default font that the BIOS chip is using on this particular card.

W232i card.jpg
Filename
W232i card.jpg
File size
1.22 MiB
Views
File comment
ET4000/W32i card
File license
Public domain

Refer the screenshot where you can see that the lowercase letter "L" has a curl at the bottom.

W32i screenshot.jpg
Filename
W32i screenshot.jpg
File size
447.92 KiB
Views
File comment
ET4000/W32i POST screen
File license
Public domain

I'm hoping that someone out there can perhaps dump the Video BIOS ROM of their ET4000/W32i card that perhaps has a more "standard" font (or point me to a location where I can download an ET4000/ W32i BIOS ROM from).

Last edited by jesolo on 2023-03-08, 18:20. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
jesolo wrote on 2023-03-08, 18:16:

I'm hoping that someone out there can perhaps dump the Video BIOS ROM of their ET4000/W32i card that perhaps has a more "standard" font (or point me to a location where I can download an ET4000/ W32i BIOS ROM from).

Well, you can dump your ROM easily using debug or NSSI. Finding the embedded fonts in VGA ROM images isn't that difficult (e.g. by looking for the zero bytes for the NUL character and the zero bytes for the space character 32 characters later). Overwriting the "typical Tseng font" with an IBM font is straightforward, as is fixing the checksum. Patching a new font into the ROM for your card is the better approach compared to trying a foreign ROM on your card, because not all ET4000/W32 are equal, e.g. the clocks provided by the clock chip might differ.

Reply 2 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mkarcher wrote on 2023-03-08, 20:22:
jesolo wrote on 2023-03-08, 18:16:

Well, you can dump your ROM easily using debug or NSSI. Finding the embedded fonts in VGA ROM images isn't that difficult (e.g. by looking for the zero bytes for the NUL character and the zero bytes for the space character 32 characters later). Overwriting the "typical Tseng font" with an IBM font is straightforward, as is fixing the checksum. Patching a new font into the ROM for your card is the better approach compared to trying a foreign ROM on your card, because not all ET4000/W32 are equal, e.g. the clocks provided by the clock chip might differ.

I completely understand what you are suggesting. Unfortunately, my knowledge of how to perform this is a bit limited. But, let me explore a bit more based on your suggestion.

Reply 3 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I actually had the same complaint about lower case L in my ET4000/W32i card and I ended up doing a font hack for it. I don't know if my font is to your liking and if the BIOS will even work but I have attached it to this post.
EDIT: Found photos of how it looks like
There were a few chars that were still original, I found there were several "fixup" chars in other part of the BIOS that also had to be changed, the photos predate this but the attached BIOS has them fixed. I am not sure why char 92 didn't show up on the photos in QB45 charset screen, but it certainly worked elsewhere.

Attachments

• photo_2023-03-09_07-36-44.jpg
    Filename
    photo_2023-03-09_07-36-44.jpg
    File size
    342.01 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Font example 1
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • photo_2023-03-09_07-36-40.jpg
    Filename
    photo_2023-03-09_07-36-40.jpg
    File size
    279.5 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Font example 2
    File license
  • Filename
    TsengFontHack.zip
    File size
    16.51 KiB
    Downloads
    41 downloads
    File comment
    Tseng ET4000/W32i BIOS with Tiido's custom font
    File license

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-03-09, 06:24:

I actually had the same complaint about lower case L in my ET4000/W32i card and I ended up doing a font hack for it. I don't know if my font is to your liking and if the BIOS will even work but I have attached it to this post.
There were a few chars that were still original, I found there were several "fixup" chars in other part of the BIOS that also had to be changed, the photos predate this but the attached BIOS has them fixed. I am not sure why char 92 didn't show up on the photos in QB45 charset screen, but it certainly worked elsewhere.

Thank you so much. I'm going to give this one a try and report back.

Reply 5 of 6, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tiido wrote on 2023-03-09, 06:24:

Thank you for the BIOS ROM - I've attached a screenshot with your BIOS ROM loaded.

W32i with updated BIOS.jpg
Filename
W32i with updated BIOS.jpg
File size
678.84 KiB
Views
File comment
W32i with updated BIOS
File license
Public domain

Reply 6 of 6, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice ~

I just noticed that your BIOS is actually a bit newer than mine is. It would be good to have a dump of it too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜