VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Reading online it appears that the velocity can install normal voodoo 3 drivers, it says that you only need to swap in the voodoo3.inf for the velocity one, in my case it didn't work, am i missing a step or something?

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 4, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I solved the problem myself and did something that i couldn't find online, i edited the V3 2000 BIOS to have the same memory parameter of a velocity, now my V3 velocity behaves identically to a V3, drivers included.

If you want to mod your velocity and never worry again about enabling TMUs and finding weird ass drivers do this:

1: Download the attachment
2: put the folder "Flash utility" on a floppy or any peripheral that can be accessed by your retro PC in DOS
3: Go to DOS and use the flash utility with this command "FLASH Velocity_Modded_2000_8mb.rom"
4:Follow instructions given by the flasher and reboot after it finishes
5:Done, you can install any normal voodoo 3 drivers now.

For commodity, rename the ROM to something shorter like V3MOD.ROM and place it in the same folder with the flasher.

MOD you can change the title to "Voodoo velocity drivers? scratch that! it's BIOS modding time!" at least some other lost souls over the years will find a solution

Attachments

• Filename
    V3_velocity_mod.7z
    File size
    252.97 KiB
    Downloads
    39 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 2 of 4, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iraito wrote on 2023-03-09, 22:29:
I solved the problem myself and did something that i couldn't find online, i edited the V3 2000 BIOS to have the same memory par […]
Show full quote

I solved the problem myself and did something that i couldn't find online, i edited the V3 2000 BIOS to have the same memory parameter of a velocity, now my V3 velocity behaves identically to a V3, drivers included.

If you want to mod your velocity and never worry again about enabling TMUs and finding weird ass drivers do this:

2: put the folder "Flash utility" on a floppy or any peripheral that can be accessed by your retro PC in DOS
3: Go to DOS and use the flash utility with this command "FLASH Velocity_Modded_2000_8mb.rom"

For commodity, rename the ROM to something shorter like V3MOD.ROM and place it in the same folder with the flasher.

MOD you can change the title to "Voodoo velocity drivers? scratch that! it's BIOS modding time!" at least some other lost souls over the years will find a solution

As i remember… After Velocity 100 to Voodoo3 ROM conversion you still need to enable second TMU by registry patch for Glide/OpenGL. Im manually add this parameter to my “own” drivers-pack.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 3 of 4, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Babasha wrote on 2023-03-09, 22:42:
iraito wrote on 2023-03-09, 22:29:
I solved the problem myself and did something that i couldn't find online, i edited the V3 2000 BIOS to have the same memory par […]
Show full quote

As i remember… After Velocity 100 to Voodoo3 ROM conversion you still need to enable second TMU by registry patch for Glide/OpenGL. Im manually add this parameter to my “own” drivers-pack.

Really? i'm getting the same performance as when i was using the velocity drivers with the REG TMU hack, shouldn't the second TMU be enabled already given that i flashed the card with a V3 2000 BIOS? i'm using plain V3 drivers.
To be clear i didn't mod the velocity bios into a V3, i took a v3 bios and edited the memory part only and flashed that into the velocity.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 4 of 4, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I dont have Velocity or V3 now to recheck it.
All i read/remember is “flash it to V3 do NOT enable second TMU, so you still need registry patch”)))

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉