VOGONS

First post, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have an Asus Eee PC 701, which has a resolution of 800x480. It has some potential as a retro gaming machine, but has languished in a cupboard for years for the crime of being not very interesting.

SBEMU changes this, turning the 701 into a powerful DOS machine with Sound Blaster support. A modern Libretto! With one downside - everything is stretched to fill the screen. The Libretto 100CT (also 800x480) had a toggle in BIOS allowing you to have unstretched 640x480, but Asus offers no such option.

I've read the FreeDOS docs about setting display modes in nansi.sys, but the process was a little hard to understand, and even then I wonder if it's the correct tree to bark up. Is there a way to do this, via FreeDOS config or otherwise?

Reply 1 of 3, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it's running Linux, xrandr can be used for that.
EeePc has a VGA out iirc. Can probably display 4:3 on an external display.

I had a 701 back in the days (used it all my University years). Great little machine. Loved it.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 2 of 3, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's possible the BIOS could be modded but you're likely better off using an external display if you have the option.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 3, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the replies. Just looking to use this as a DOS netbook, so an external display isn't on the cards. I'll enjoy it as-is for now and hope that a solution falls out of the sky.