VOGONS

First post, by Brawndo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I'm going to put together a "4-in-1" AMD K6-2+ PC as Phil did in his video using SetMul and cache settings to emulate 386/486/Pentium and all out speeds. I have everything I need except the CPU, but the K6-2+ is cheap enough on ebay so I'll be ordering a couple this weekend, and I'm not about to pay the asinine asking prices for a K6-3+ as there's really no benefit for this purpose (or most purposes for that matter). Anyway the two video cards I have on hand which I'm debating between are a Hercules 3D Prophet II (GeForce 2 MX 64MB RAM) and a MSI GeForce 4 MX 440, also with 64MB RAM. Clearly the GF4 will have superior Win98 performance, but is there a reason I should use the GF2 instead for better compatibility or quality for the DOS games? I think I read in another thread that older detonator drivers can be used with the GF2, not sure what benefit that would provide.

This will not be my only DOS PC as I have several others running other video cards, so it doesn't need to provide the best of everything, but this will be the first "4-in-1" PC I'm putting together.

Reply 1 of 2, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GeForce 2 MX has access to large chunk of early Detonators, while GeForce 4 MX doesn't. Early drivers have better performance with slow CPUs. That being said, GeForce 4 MX performs better with 32-bit color and higher resolutions (1024x768+).

For DOS they should be identical.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 2, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-03-11, 17:12:

GeForce 2 MX has access to large chunk of early Detonators, while GeForce 4 MX doesn't. Early drivers have better performance with slow CPUs. That being said, GeForce 4 MX performs better with 32-bit color and higher resolutions (1024x768+).

For DOS they should be identical.

I think @bloodem came to the same conclusion a while ago, e.g. that the GeForce 2 MX400 with older drivers generally works better on the SS7 platform, unless higher resolutions are used.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi