VOGONS

First post, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am reporting this strange behavior, it took me a while to find it and I am curious if anyone has a logical explanation. In addition, the post may also be useful for future research

2 nvidia video cards:
-Quadro FX3400
-Quadro FX3450

With the FX3400, some apps freeze immediately after startup. In the screenshot you can see Symantec GHOST, but it also does this with Windows 98 setup.

IMG_4428.jpg
Filename
IMG_4428.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

It freezes the moment it draws the UI, while in GHOST you only see a gray screen, the Windows 98 setup appears incomplete (everything is drawn except the border of the first window that contains the closing X - and then everything freezes)

With the FX3450, on the other hand, everything works

IMG_4429.jpg
Filename
IMG_4429.jpg
File size
1.15 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Maybe the card have not enough juice to run NV45 use more power than NV41.
Can also be a RAM or BIOS issue.
But I would test the PSU before.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.

Reply 2 of 5, by matti157

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Datadrainer wrote on 2023-03-14, 14:26:

Maybe the card have not enough juice to run NV45 use more power than NV41.
Can also be a RAM or BIOS issue.
But I would test the PSU before.

I forgot to write that:
-If on the same pc I install Windows 7 I pass 3dmark (with NV45).
-If on the same pc I change the board with Windows 98 already installed I pass the 3dmark (i.e. I mount the NV45 board without formatting)

So I rule out a card hardware or power supply problem

The problem is somewhat confined to starting apps from MSDOS only (not apps launched from Windows)

Reply 5 of 5, by Datadrainer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've seen flash ROM corrupted by time. It's a track to verify.
First I would make a copy of your BIOS, then try to find a corresponding MD5 or SHA-1 on a search engine. If you find one, then the BIOS is good.
If not, that means your BIOS isn't know by search engines or it is corrupted. To test the second choice, keep preciously you backup. There is a Video BIOS Collection on TechPowerUp, I think you can find BIOSes for your video chipset there. Try to take one having the same spec of your card. The type of RAM matter, FX-3400 have all GDDR3, but who knows. The type of bus matters too but I think FX-3400 still use a PCIe <-> AGP bridge. Maybe someone here can tell. Working frequency matters too but that can be changed with a BIOS editor if needed and at worst your PC will crash. I've never seen a video chipset to die because of overclocking but in general BIOS overclocked are for card with a big cooler. Not the subject but that make me remember I've seen an Athlon Thunderbird emitting nice smoke because the fan of the cooler was blocked by dust and an Athlon XP Palomino doing the same a few second after boot, but without cooler at all this time. You know when you think it's a good idea to not mount a cooling just to test if the motherboard starts. I loved this old Athlons <3 Very festive chips.
For the tools flash, you can find them online. Just check they support your BIOS generation. Some are working from real DOS, some are working under Windows. Don't remember which one for what. Have them somewhere if really you don't find.

Knowing things is great. Understanding things is better. Creating things is even better.