VOGONS

First post, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the threads and posts are for the opposite, or for VGA to HDMI converters. However, I'm looking for a way to connect my modern PC to an older CRT TV through composite. It's basically only going to be used for those games, regardless of the platform, that used dithering patters, either for color mixing, transparency, etc. These can only be properly resolved with a composite signal.

I know about shaders and filters but none of them seem to be able to match real hardware.

Does anyone here use such converters? Any recommendations?

Reply 1 of 1, by Ryccardo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Musou brand one, but they're "all" the same inside (even if they may have a SCART connector) 😀

You get a choice (with a weak switch on the side) of PAL/50 (in which case it's best with SVGA = 800x600) or NTSC/60 (VGA) but accepts all common PC and HDTV video modes (...so, results probably not guaranteed at MDA/CGA/EGA timings? Never tried...)

For those reasonable source resolutions, it's quite usable for all purposes even on a "value" TV (= cheapass but decently designed, like a Vestel 11AK36 or pretty much any 14 inch Mivar) - though I have fairly sharp sight!

Probably a step up from most TV outputs of early and mid 2000s computers...