VOGONS

First post, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It has been many many years since I last messed with this, and it seems like the primary resource for .inf modding (laptopdvideo2go.com) has wiped 99% of their references and downloads for XP drivers... at least any that I looked at. I've been scouring the forums and it's just a complete maze of threads that all look the same and are filled with dead links, missing links and completely blank (removed) posts. Years ago I would have just downloaded a driver and modded the .inf and been done with it, but it's been so long I just don't remember the process, and I definitely can't remember which driver version is the best for my needs.

My goal is simply to have a good well rounded driver for the PCI-E video card test bench I'm setting up so I can drop in any PCI-E card that just doesn't work well in Windows 10. Some of these cards will be Quadros, so I'd really like to just use a modded .inf to make those work with the same drivers as other cards. The range of cards will generally be from the Geforce PCX (PCI-Express FX series) through Geforce 7 series and equivalent Quadro models, like the Quadro FX 3500 (identical to 7900GS). Ideally the driver would be something that is new enough to support all of these but old enough to not be optimized for newer cards I won't be running in XP.

Pretty much any cards newer than that will work with official drivers in Windows 10, so I'll just boot to Windows 10 for those.

TL;DR: Help me find a good driver to run ALL nvidia PCI-E cards from Geforce PCX (FX) to Geforce 7 series, and either provide a modded .inf to allow comparable Quadros to work with this driver, or help me figure out what I need to edit manually.

Thanks everyone!

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure why you need modded inf file. Most, if not all, Quadros are supported by bog-standard Detonator.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by Ozzuneoj

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-04-05, 13:26:

Not sure why you need modded inf file. Most, if not all, Quadros are supported by bog-standard Detonator.

Oy... 🤣. Thank you.

When I checked the nvidia site I saw they had totally different driver packages for older Quadros vs Geforces. I don't even have the OS installed yet to actually be able to test them, otherwise I would have just installed one and tried it. Anyway... I just checked the .inf files in some standard Geforce driver packages and sure enough the Quadro FX 3500 is listed. Derp...

(Also, for what it's worth the Detonator drivers ended at 45.xx or so, after that it was Forceware)

Now I just need to try to remember why I constantly needed to mod different cards into existing .INF files back in the day. I didn't have a laptop so it wasn't for mobile graphics... *shrug*... who knows.

Anyway...

Does anyone have an XP driver version to recommend for FX through 7 series?

Now for some blitting from the back buffer.

Reply 3 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forceware 9x.xx. Last drivers just around 8800GTX release. Although certain benchmarks will benefit lower drivers versions, especially when it comes to FX series.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.