VOGONS

First post, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I’ve got this nice Miro HiScore 3D 6MB Voodoo 1 in my P166MMX machine. We all know that Unreal performs better with a 6MB V1 which has 4MB for the TMU such as the Miro and the Canopus Pure3D, so I wanted to know if Quake 3 benefits from the extra texture memory too.

The driver info in the Q3 settings only states “TMU/2 MB”. According to the 3DFX env variables, SST_TMUMEM_SIZE can be set independently to “override autodetect by glide”. This got me wondering if this env needed to be manually set to 4 in order to get OpenGL to detect the extra ram too. So i did this. The result was identical timedemo performance regardless of whether it was left at default or set manually to 4MB.

Furthermore, if I limited texture memory to 2MB (ie same as a stock 4MB Voodoo 1) in the Miro’s settings I get the same timedemo fps as stock.

So is Quake 3 simply unable to take advantage of extra ram for the TMU? It seems that way.

Does it actually use the ram but the ram makes no difference to fps, or does it completely ignore this second extra 2MB because it either can’t see it, or it’s incapable of using it?

Anyone know? Seems odd that unreal is one of the few games that actually benefits from double the available texture ram!

Interestingly quake 3 reports a voodoo 1 sli setup as 2 TMU but still 2MB.

Reply 3 of 14, by mwdmeyer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It is an interesting question because depending on texture V2 -> V3 -> V4 makes a big difference in Quake 3 (based on my testing). So I would have expected the same for memory increase in V1.

Vogons Wiki - http://vogonswiki.com

Reply 4 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It'd probably be more stuck at the fill before the thrash, though that 2 TMU readout is strange. To see if it's actually using the "second TMU" in that case, type 'imagelist' in the console and check for any 1's, because that's where the other 2MB would be. Also compare framerates with r_ext_multitexture 0

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 5 of 14, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The data for sli voodoo 1s isn’t mine, it was from a video I saw on YouTube. So I just have a voodoo 1 6MB with the one TMU.

Slightly interestingly I dropped the texture quality from second highest to second lowest and there was zero change in framerate with either stock 4MB or with 2MB disabled in the graphics card settings. This evening I’ll try increasing texture res to maximum and see what happens there.

Reply 6 of 14, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Maybe the P166MMX (which is already below the minimum specs of MMX 233) plus the fillrate on the V1 is already too much of a bottleneck for the extra texture memory to make a difference.

I'd try it on something faster, say Pentium II 300/350.

Reply 7 of 14, by Aebtdom

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't want to be a nagger here, but this is really trying to go from unplayable framerates to still uplayable. Your cpu is giving a rough 70% of your minimum system requirements and with this card you aren't even getting close to the requirement of a pentium2 266.

I have a pentium 2 350 at home running with a voodoo 2 12mb and a diamond viper v550, even then I dont bother installing the game.

Please go with a pentium 450 at the least. And a voodoo 3 or voodoo2 sli, or go tnt2 or faster.

Byt thats just my opinion

And for the sake of your question, to just make it run at all a bit better:
I am interested to see the answer, since I remember that it should be possible to change this.

Builds:

Xp3000+ gf3 ti200 + vd2 SLI 12MB + 768MB + SB live @ WinXP & 98 Dualboot.

P2 350mhz + Diamond Viper V550 + 3Dfx Voodoo 2 12MB + AWE64 + 128MB SDR @ msdos / win98.

Reply 8 of 14, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Like others mentioned before, Quake 3 really needs a strong P2 or a Pentium 3.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 9 of 14, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah I did wonder if the fps might be bottlenecked and the voodoo would be worth a few more fps under a better cpu, so any difference between MB is being masked

Having said that, Unreal shows a significant average fps and fps lows when moving from a 4MB to 6MB V1 with the same slow cpu , and this game’s performance is definitely cpu dependant, so I do think there is headroom in a Voodoo in some ram/texture-related circumstances.

Reply 10 of 14, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Aebtdom wrote on 2023-04-06, 11:28:
I don't want to be a nagger here, but this is really trying to go from unplayable framerates to still uplayable. Your cpu is giv […]
Show full quote

I don't want to be a nagger here, but this is really trying to go from unplayable framerates to still uplayable. Your cpu is giving a rough 70% of your minimum system requirements and with this card you aren't even getting close to the requirement of a pentium2 266.

I have a pentium 2 350 at home running with a voodoo 2 12mb and a diamond viper v550, even then I dont bother installing the game.

Please go with a pentium 450 at the least. And a voodoo 3 or voodoo2 sli, or go tnt2 or faster.

Byt thats just my opinion

Thanks for your concerns, i do appreciate them. I have loads of old PCs, swapping in a new cpu isnt an issue, it's a matter of spending a bit of time to take things apart. similarly moving the V1 6MB into a machine with a faster cpu isnt an issue either. I have V3 and V2 SLI machines already set up, so i can play Q3 with plenty of fps.

I chose this machine initially because I wanted to see if 2 extra MB alone would bump the fps, like it does with Unreal. I wanted to see if Q3 benefitted from more ram to push the glass ceiling slightly higher. And I used to have this system back in 1998, and was interested to see whether if id had a 6MB V1 back then rather than a 4MB one i'd see any improvement. The answer is no, and I'm glad i moved to a Voodoo 2 and then later a PII.

Reply 11 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe other Glide-based GL ICDs might report and use more memory (i.e. WickedGL, MesaFX). Quake3 doesn't know how much VRAM a card has, all that texture management's handled by OpenGL itself. The MB reporting's part of the 3dfx GL ICD's string.

The best general optimization for Q3 on a V1 is turning on vertexlight (also saves CPU for not calculating dynamic lights), cg_draw3dicons 0, also r_texturemode GL_LINEAR to keep the mipmaps off the texture cache, which should help some thrashing

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 14, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wonder if there's a driver issue going on here.

FWIW, there's a youtuber trying all sorts of games on 6MB and 8MB Voodoo 1 configurations and they all seem to have been misses so far.

The channel is Bits and Bolts
https://www.youtube.com/@bitsundbolts

Reply 13 of 14, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3Dfx_Aslinger did extensive testing 4 years ago with Miro 6MB and Skywell 8MB https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmmSBFVeF3I

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 14 of 14, by trixster

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the video links, I’d seen both of them before but they’re both very interesting.

I can confirm the fps boost for Unreal with the 6MB card, and I can’t see any boost with quake, quake 2 or Tomb Raider similar to what Bits and Bolts is showing.

Performance in Quake3 was my main interest.

3DMark99 - I saw a video of a guy with a 4MB V1 and P166MMX (same as me) getting 879 3d marks. I’m getting 937 (and the same cpu marks as him). So perhaps the extra 2MB is helping here?