VOGONS

First post, by teodordumi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I'm really close to finishing my dream Win98/WinXP dual boot build. Here are the current specs:

MB: ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA
PSU: Corsair VX550
RAM: 4GB DDR2
CPU: Core2Duo E7600
SND: Audigy 2ZS
AGP - Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT
PCIe - PowerColor Radeon HD 5870 PCS+

I was amazed when I found out that the 9600 XT can output 160Hz at all resolutions I care about (1024x768 and under). I'm using a LogiLink DVI to HDMI adapter, and then HDMI cable to my Gigabyte M32Q monitor. Everything is incredibly smooth and responsive, in Windows and in games as well. I was able to get the same output and refresh rates in XP, but the performance isn't enough for 2003-2010 games with the 9600 XT.

That's where the PCIe GPU comes in - I chose the 5870 for its performance, and my mobo can only take PCI 2.0. I've installed Catalyst 9.10 and after a bit of fiddling to disable the 9600 XT in device manager, everything seems to work just fine under Windows XP with the 5870, performance is as expected.

However - I can only select 75Hz for 4:3 resolutions, and 60Hz for 16:9. This is with the same DVI to HDMI setup as before.
As a result, a few possibilities arise which I can't seem to find the answers for:
- Limitation of the Catalyst 9.10 drivers?
- Limitation of the HD5870? This Guru3D thread seems to mention 5xxx series doesn't support higher refresh rates, but I can't find any other source for that.
- Should I be going with an NVIDIA GPU for my PCIe GPU, are their drivers better for high refresh rate output?

It occurred to me that another option might be to use a GPU that is supported by the latest Omega XP drivers (Catalyst 7.12). I think the most performant one would be the HD3870. It would however be a huge performance downgrade compared to the 5870, so I am not sure that I want to attempt this route.

Thanks for any hints!

Reply 2 of 2, by bZbZbZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your Radeon 5870 should have an HDMI 1.3a port... what refresh rates are available if you just use the HDMI port (instead of the DVI port with adapter)?

...come to think of it, I think the Radeon 5870 has DisplayPort 1.1 as well. Can you get more refresh rates if you instead run DisplayPort straight to your monitor?