VOGONS

First post, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Windows 98 PC build is almost done but one problem still came up recently. I bought an ATI Radeon 9600 XT Bravo graphics card and it works well. First when I tried to get it working I didn't plug it in properly. I wondered why nothing showed up. It was connected with a VGA cable to my Samtron 76E monitor. I tried to connect it to the DVI port of the graphics card with an adapter but it still didn't work. Not until then I realized to check that it was plugged in properly. After that it started working but the screen blinked every now and then. Then I tried to put the cable back to the VGA port and the blinking was gone.

But now for some reason, at the startup, the screen vertical size is very small and the refresh rate is poor. The problem is gone after the startup. I know this is not a big problem but it bugs me because everything else works fine now and I would really want to be greeted by a decent Windows 98 splash screen at the startup.

I have tried to adjust the monitor settings from the monitor at the startup and it helped a bit but not very much. I tried to reinstall the drivers (ATI Catalyst 6.2). I'm wondering if there would be something helpful in the registry. I also found this:

https://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=107715

I'm not sure if that is the same problem but it says: "It seems that this is one of those triumphs of technology, the monitor has a number of presets and space for some user settings. Seems when the computer crashed once it was trying to emulate standard vga, and the monitor duly obliged by saving the new settings, and making them the default."

Is there a way to get my hands on those presets somehow? Registry?

Reply 4 of 8, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-04-26, 22:31:

What exactly do you mean?
The Windows desktop?
Or the Starting Windows 98 Logo during Windows startup?

The starting Windows 98 Logo (and also BIOS and everything at the boot up). After the startup everything works fine (already at the desktop) and is in 1024x768 resolution, 85 Hz refresh rate. And the monitor settings are what they should be and what I have set them earlier. The boot up seems to have different monitor settings and they are also saved if I change them with the buttons on the monitor (but they don't help much).

Reply 5 of 8, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I guess that's a monitor setting then.
Try to press the "Break"/"Pause" key (right of the F12 key) during the logo is active, and play with the settings in your monitor's OSD (on screen display) menu. Try to find something like aspect ratio, zoom, 16:9, ...

There may be a difference whether you use DVI or VGA output. DVI is preferred, ofc.

Reply 6 of 8, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-04-27, 09:16:

I guess that's a monitor setting then.
Try to press the "Break"/"Pause" key (right of the F12 key) during the logo is active, and play with the settings in your monitor's OSD (on screen display) menu. Try to find something like aspect ratio, zoom, 16:9, ...

There may be a difference whether you use DVI or VGA output. DVI is preferred, ofc.

Okay, thanks for the tip! I've already done what I can with the OSD settings. For some reason the screen size still remains quite small (it's not that bad, about 3 centimeters short from each side) although I've maxed out the zoom and size settings. I've not found any aspect ratio settings. And I can't change the refresh rate.

Should I use the DVI port although I have a CRT monitor with a VGA cable? I have an adapter but as I mentioned, with the DVI and the adapter, the screen sometimes blinked a little. It was not very often and I didn't notice that it did it while playing games for example but when I opened the monitor settings, it blinked (is this a proper word?) once.

As I write I notice that these are not very big issues 😀 I've dealt with an enormous number of problems while getting this setup working (this is my first time building an old pc build). As a child my first computers were Windows 98 (also NT and 2000) so I've done this to enjoy some nostalgia. It's very soothing to play old games with an old setup. Anyway, I've learned that with Windows 98 you should be grateful if everything works somewhat ok, at least without proper computer skills. Now everything works almost like a charm so it's not a big deal if this problem remains.

Reply 7 of 8, by Disruptor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, I'm sorry. You use a CRT!
Then forget about my post 😉
I've assumed you were using a LCD.

Earlier graphics cards often came with a tool to calibrate display and monitor settings.
I don't know whether ATI has a tool for that kind of modern graphics card at all...

Perhaps your windows driver may enable hardware scaling, but basically that's also a feature for LCD displays...

Reply 8 of 8, by Lintu

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-04-27, 13:24:
Oh, I'm sorry. You use a CRT! Then forget about my post ;) I've assumed you were using a LCD. […]
Show full quote

Oh, I'm sorry. You use a CRT!
Then forget about my post 😉
I've assumed you were using a LCD.

Earlier graphics cards often came with a tool to calibrate display and monitor settings.
I don't know whether ATI has a tool for that kind of modern graphics card at all...

Perhaps your windows driver may enable hardware scaling, but basically that's also a feature for LCD displays...

No problem, thanks for help! 😀