VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I finally got it, I managed to run some games in glide at 1024x768 in 32bit color mode but Quake 2 keeps kicking me to software renderer unless I'll choose lower resolutions. Any way to run Q2 in glide at this resolution?

Reply 1 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Quake 2 doesn't use Glide, it uses OpenGL via the 3DFX MiniGL driver, as such as long as your desktop is in 32bit color mode Quake2 will use that, just make sure the MiniGL DLL file is in your quake2 directory.

Reply 3 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2023-05-10, 11:04:

Ok but what file?

http://falconfly.3dfx.pl/minigl.htm

Use the MiniGL 1.47 version from that site for the best all round compatibility and speed, unzip and copy the 3dfxgl.dll file from the Quake2 directory into your Quake2 directory, the ZIP also contains the DLL for other Quake based games.

Reply 4 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks a lot @TrashPanda, finally V5 on maximum usage. 😁 However, I saw Rayman 2 GOG version forces 32bit color and I cannot do this on real machine. Am I doing something wrong or it's possible only via emulation?

Reply 5 of 13, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
haker120 wrote on 2023-05-10, 11:15:

Thanks a lot @TrashPanda, finally V5 on maximum usage. 😁 However, I saw Rayman 2 GOG version forces 32bit color and I cannot do this on real machine. Am I doing something wrong or it's possible only via emulation?

Cant help you with the GOG version, its best to ask on the GOG forums as they likely tweaked stuff to get it working, its possible they can point you in the right direction for getting the OG version to do the same.

Reply 7 of 13, by Truffon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
You should check pcgamingwiki, there is a section "issues fixed" in which they talk about the 32bits rendering issue on glide and what tweaks needs to be done. (I guess you can skip the nglide part, as you have a 3dfx card)

Reply 10 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But there is a patch that works with nglide, I asked at raymanpc.com and the person who made patch will hopefully help me. 😉

Also Rayman 2 supports only real glide or DirectX and choosing DX is really a poor choice. 😁

Reply 13 of 13, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Forcing 32bpp makes games to dectect smaller resolution, Rayman 2 in 800x600 max and honestly I'm not sure that works, I think will be better to stay at default 16bpp in 1024x768, this card is more like collectors item to use from time to time, not like daily use. GF4 or Radeon 9600 are more like for daily use. 😁