VOGONS

First post, by kp73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, first I just wanted to say - amazing forum, so much useful info!

I recently bought a used ViewSonic VGA CRT to finish a recreation of my mid 90s gaming PC setup. My setup now feels more complete and love replaying all my fav games from back in the day.

Query is, while the monitor works pretty well- it’s probably seen a fair bit of use. I’d guess The picture is about 75%as bright as it should be (compared to what I remember from yrs ago, and compared to my low hour Phillips Cm8833). Also, it occasionally ‘pulses’ slightly. The picture flickers slightly, picture expands then returns back to normal. Doesn’t seem to happen very regularly or after anything in particular.

Do any of you guys know what’s causes this, anything I can do to fix it or at least prevent it from getting worse. Is there anything I should/could do to help it last as long as possible? Or is it just near the end of its life and I should just accept it won’t last and that long and enjoy it before it goes pop 😀

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 3, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are a lot of things that can and will go wrong with CRT after such long period. Repairing CRT yourself could be dangerous (need to drain capacitors first) and generally not worth it, unless it's some premium stuff with 19+ inch size, high refresh, etc.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 3, by kp73

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, yeah I’m aware of the high voltage dangers of CRTs - I don’t intend to meddle with it personally. Mainly wondering what the underlying cause of the pulsing picture might me. My usual Googling skills are failing me, probably because I’m not describing it appropriately. Most similar symptoms I find being talked about are different (it doesn’t seem to be related to white/high contrast picture changes for eg).