VOGONS

First post, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pentium 2 setup as my main and I find myself in the situation of having several video cards but no idea what would be best. I narrowed it down to these:

Supported by UNIVBE
- STB Velocity (NVIDIA RIVA-128) AGP with 4MB RAM (currently installed in the machine)
- ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP with 8MB RAM

Not supported by UNIVBE
- NVIDIA GeForce2 MX-200 AGP with 64MB RAM and TV out
- Matrox Millenium AGP with 32MB RAM

I'm not at the moment really playing any games in Windows, which would tilt me over choosing one from the later list, but I also wonder if the card not being supported in UNIVBE being a problem at all for DOS games or not.
I have no real need, for now, of resolutions bigger than 800x600 in Windows. My CRT barely does 1024x768 if at all.

Yeah, I could install two I guess? But I rather pick one, if possible.

What are your thoughts?

Reply 1 of 8, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i forgot if riva supports intermediate vesa resolutions like 400x300, which univbe adds, but p2 should be able to handle any dos game in 640x480 anyway. it's usually not needed otherwise, though a handful of games incorporate it and will probably not work well with later cards.

Reply 2 of 8, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your best option is the MX200. You're unlikely to ever need UNIVBE, it's going to do great with DOS games, and if you want to play Windows games of the era, you're covered. The Riva is runner up, but depending on the vendor, visual output quality could be subpar. I would not use the other two cards, unless it's all I had, or I want to rebuild nostalgia. Fiddling with CIF on the ATI is interesting for a while, but again, it's not a long-term card I would keep in a system with the better options presented.

Resources to consider:

DOS Tests
https://gona.mactar.hu/DOS_TESTS/

List of games with Table Fog support
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … ble_Fog_support

List of games with 8-bit paletted texture support
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/List_of_ … texture_support

Reply 3 of 8, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

not so sure that the mx200 would necessarily beat the RIVA in terms of output quality - at least the GTS is well known for often having components at the output that soften the image, plus the bottom tier mx200 wouldn't exactly be getting the fanciest PCB designs.

Reply 5 of 8, by gen_angry

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Do you even need UNIVBE? With a VBE 2.0 or higher capable card, I thought it had the ability to run without needing a TSR. At least my Trio64V2 doesn't.

However, from that list - use the MX200.

Reply 6 of 8, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks everyone for the valuable input! I didn't know the MX200 was such a favorite.

gen_angry wrote on 2023-05-17, 22:25:

Do you even need UNIVBE? With a VBE 2.0 or higher capable card, I thought it had the ability to run without needing a TSR.

I thought I needed it. But is the MX200 a "vbe2+" card?

Meatball wrote on 2023-05-17, 20:03:

OH very useful, thanks a lot! I guess I have to get on testing! But probably will end up with the MX200 in that rig, and rout the other cards to other setups.

Reply 7 of 8, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gen_angry wrote on 2023-05-17, 22:25:

Do you even need UNIVBE? With a VBE 2.0 or higher capable card, I thought it had the ability to run without needing a TSR. At least my Trio64V2 doesn't.

VBE 2.0 cards benefit a lot from using UNIVBE, not only for performance in my experience but VBE 3.0 allows you to use things like UniRefresh, which gives you higher refresh rates in DOS.

Even my Riva 128 (which is VBE 3.0) benefits from UNIVBE in some edge cases, like MEKA for example.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 8 of 8, by kikendo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just tried to run Genecyst after installing the MX200 and it crashed on launch. Not sure if it is that or something else, but it's probably that. Weird, because Callus works. I need to do some more testing