VOGONS

First post, by Loganius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got an nVIDIA 7900 GTX for my overpowered 98 machine. I'm using the 82.69 driver and everything is working fine except for the fact that my card has been down clocked into oblivion and I get this error message on boot:
"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power."
This, despite the fact that I definitely have the 6 pin PCIe power plugged in and I have a 500w PSU.
I have no idea what is wrong and need help. Or rather, I suspect the card has been damaged, either in shipping or from the seller, but I can't find anything visually wrong with the card. (And I'm in denial.)

Reply 1 of 11, by Gumur.gurl

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Loganius wrote on 2023-05-18, 03:38:
I just got an nVIDIA 7900 GTX for my overpowered 98 machine. I'm using the 82.69 driver and everything is working fine except fo […]
Show full quote

I just got an nVIDIA 7900 GTX for my overpowered 98 machine. I'm using the 82.69 driver and everything is working fine except for the fact that my card has been down clocked into oblivion and I get this error message on boot:
"The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power."
This, despite the fact that I definitely have the 6 pin PCIe power plugged in and I have a 500w PSU.
I have no idea what is wrong and need help. Or rather, I suspect the card has been damaged, either in shipping or from the seller, but I can't find anything visually wrong with the card. (And I'm in denial.)

Set all power options in high performace on driver and on windows. HWINFO is your friend to check if all is correct

Last edited by Gumur.gurl on 2023-05-20, 16:37. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 2 of 11, by agent_x007

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That error indicates bad connection in 6-pin plug.
Either on cards end (pin inside 6-pin are crushed/bend), or PSU plug side has trouble with wires (going into plug).
Lastly PSU may have deteriorated capacitors that can't sustain stable power under heavy load.

I recommend checking 24-pin ATX as well, for any signs of pins being loose or cables sliding out.

Reply 3 of 11, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Loganius wrote on 2023-05-18, 03:38:
I just got an nVIDIA 7900 GTX for my overpowered 98 machine. I'm using the 82.69 driver and everything is working fine except fo […]
Show full quote

"500W PSU" doesn't mean much. Which PSU brand are you actually using? That warning can appear when the card detects unstable/unreliable power delivery, which is a very common occurrence with cheapo (or damaged) power supplies (even if they appear to be in working state at first glance). So, first things first, I would suggest trying a different PSU from a known good brand. I would also try it with another motherboard in WinXP, if possible (Win98 drivers for such a new card can be very finicky). If you still get the same behavior, then the video card is most likely faulty.

Gumur.gurl wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:01:

-get one of those pcie 6 pin adapters. i have never trusted 6 pin directly from power supplies.

Uhm... wut?

Gumur.gurl wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:01:

-use beta drivers, they are not very picky about power, i have 2 nvidia quadros and they are PITA about power. YOU KNOW FORCED obsolescence PUSHED BY jensen.

Even if it does work, this 'fixes' the effect, not the cause. 😉

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k

Reply 4 of 11, by Loganius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bloodem wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:15:

"500W PSU" doesn't mean much. Which PSU brand are you actually using? That warning can appear when the card detects unstable/unreliable power delivery, which is a very common occurrence with cheapo (or damaged) power supplies (even if they appear to be in working state at first glance). So, first things first, I would suggest trying a different PSU from a known good brand. If you still get the same behavior, then the video card is most likely faulty.

I'm using a few year old EVGA 500w bronze. I was previously (until today) using a roughly year old 400w EVGA power supply, when I swapped it out for troubleshooting. They both had the same error.
Also, before I got the 7900GTX, I had been using a 7950GT, which never complained (assuming I remembered to plug in the PCIe power.) In fact, I've swapped back in the 7950GT for the time being, and it's working perfectly.

Reply 5 of 11, by Loganius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:03:
That error indicates bad connection in 6-pin plug. Either on cards end (pin inside 6-pin are crushed/bend), or PSU plug side has […]
Show full quote

Either on cards end (pin inside 6-pin are crushed/bend), or PSU plug side has trouble with wires (going into plug).
Lastly PSU may have deteriorated capacitors that can't sustain stable power under heavy load.

I recommend checking 24-pin ATX as well, for any signs of pins being loose or cables sliding out.

For what it's worth, I poked my multimeter into the solder joints coming from the 6pin connector while the system was live. I read 11.92v between the 12v pins and the ground pins.

Reply 6 of 11, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Loganius wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:27:
agent_x007 wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:03:
That error indicates bad connection in 6-pin plug. Either on cards end (pin inside 6-pin are crushed/bend), or PSU plug side has […]
Show full quote

For what it's worth, I poked my multimeter into the solder joints coming from the 6pin connector while the system was live. I read 11.92v between the 12v pins and the ground pins.

What about during sustained heavy GPU load though? It's still plausible that you are experiencing a voltage drop or ripple if you haven't monitored voltage during load.

Reply 7 of 11, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Loganius wrote on 2023-05-18, 05:27:

You mast check connection from connector to mosfet at the drawn card. Most likely there is inductance.
And check the connector pin that goes to the voltage sensing circuit.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 8 of 11, by Loganius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think we found the culprit.
I believe these were capacitors on the power management side of the board (as in the side near the 6pin connector)

Attachments

• IMG_2765.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2765.jpeg
    File size
    1.78 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_2766.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    File size
    1.9 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 11, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Auch, that looks like three capacitors are gone and two transistors. C504, c587, c576, q515 & q519

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 10 of 11, by Loganius

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-05-18, 21:45:

Auch, that looks like three capacitors are gone and two transistors. C504, c587, c576, q515 & q519

Welp, I think we have our answer.
I didn’t even notice c504.
I noticed it appears one of the pads on q515 was ripped off. When I saw that, I decided to just give up on repairs and just return it. Currently in the process of doing that.
I mentioned in my first post I suspected damage.
My suspicions have been confirmed.
Thanks for all your help everyone. If anyone is selling/sees a good deal on a replacement 7900 GTX, please let me know. Otherwise, I’m calling this case solved.

Side note: I’m new to posting on Vogons. Is there something I’m supposed to do to close the thread?

Reply 11 of 11, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yep, disgausting storage

Attachments

• IMG_2766.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_2766.jpeg
    File size
    1.92 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value