VOGONS

First post, by d3vilsadvocate

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m considering adding a V3 PCI card to my AGP Geforce 4. I’m running Windows 98 with a P3 1 Ghz and an Asus P3B-F motherboard

Just how doable is it? Are there many games that refuse to boot with two such cards? Which card will be used when booting DOS?

I know some people are doing it but I’m really wondering how much of a hassle it is.

I already have a V2 but am not really overly happy with it.

Reply 1 of 3, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Which one gets used is determined in the BIOS, since the system has AGP that card is the default boot card, the only way to change this is to set the BIOS to default to the PCI GPU.

So you'll have to boot using the AGP card first, go into the BIOS and set it to use the PCI GPU then reboot and switch the cable tot he V3, then do it all again in reverse to go back to the GF4.

DOS will use whatever GPU is set to default in the BIOS.

Honestly it sound like a pain in the arse to use a setup like this, easier to just keep the V2 in there and get a second one for V2 SLI which will be just as good as the V3.

Reply 2 of 3, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I second the advice of keeping the Voodoo2 paired with the GeForce4 card, saving you the trouble of having to switch between AGP and PCI for video in the BIOS setup, and possibly two separate hardware profiles in Windows.

In addition, the Voodoo2 has better compatibility with early Glide games which the Voodoo3 can't run.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS