VOGONS

First post, by Darkaga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently been messing around with a Sapphire 3850 AGP in one of my retro machines. While the card is quite fast for the old Netburst-based computer, it's also insanely loud and runs very hot.

Being blessed with an overabundance of old hardware, I happened to have a reference 3870 laying around that was ready to donate it's cooler to the cause.

I couldn't actually find any good reference images for the Sapphire 3850 AGP PCB so I'll start by posting that here.

ezwxujM.jpg

So nothing about the 3870 cooler fits the 3850 AGP at all. However, much of it seemed like it was close enough to attempt to modify the cooler to fit. The first problem was the the 3850 VRM heatsink is much too talk to fit with the 3870 cooler shroud. Additionally the RAM heatsinks for the 3850 can't be transferred because they're part of the original cooler, which is one piece. To additionally complicate things, several capacitors on the 3850 interfere with just transferring the 3870 VRM/RAM heatsinks.

GHDjDap.jpg
dny3UNQ.jpg

But they're pretty close, so I thought some light Dremeling might do the trick.

oCSe6Po.jpg

30 minutes and 1 grinding wheel later and I think we've got it. Also, I discovered that the heatsinks are actually aluminum with some kind of cooper colored laminate. They did feel a bit lite.

GMhoWgz.jpg

Test fit

UDFFwWe.jpg

Adding some thermal pads. I went with 1MM Arctic TP3 pads. I'd probably use .5MM pads on the VRMs if I was doing it again. Either way the VRMs are a mess because they're actually much farther apart then the reference 3870 and the 3870 VRM heatsink is not as wide.

4XqBUGO.jpg

The next issues is that there are several components that are just too tall on the 3850 AGP board, including the PCI bracket.

bb3e5ml.jpg

I thought about using the Dremel to solve all of my problems but I think it makes sense to try a less destructive solution first. I grabbed a copper shim I had lying around (1.8MM) and sandwiched it between the die and heatsink with some Arctic MX-6.

cH4e4Vl.jpg
6aobm9C.jpg

Next problem - The 3870 rear x-bracket wont fit with the PCI-E>AGP bridge chip. Just barely in the wrong position. I decided to just reuse the the mounting screws from the original 3850 heatsink and see how it goes before trying to engineer a new solution.

b4hctCB.jpg

Finally, the 3850 AGP fan uses a mini 2-pin header which doesn't feature PWM control. The 3870 fan features a mini 4-pin which is PWM but can't socket into the 3850 board. I could have just wired the 4-pin to the board but I wanted to try and maintain PWM functionality. Although my Tyan Tiger doesn't have any PWM fan headers I figure if the fan at max is too loud I can always just buy a PWM controller.

a1b41oO.jpg

Complete build mounted and running on my test bench.

k7ic2tr.jpg

The new fan at full RPM is probably close to as loud as the original 3850 fan, so a PWM controller is definitely in my future. However, the cooling results are fantastic.

Original Heatsink
Idle: 40-45c
Full Load 74-79c

3870 Reference Heatsink
Idle: 30-32c
Load: 48-55c

Reply 1 of 2, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wonderful.
But doesn't the heatsink touch the capacitors?
Maybe it needed to be cut a little more?

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 2, by Darkaga

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-05-23, 04:23:

Wonderful.
But doesn't the heatsink touch the capacitors?
Maybe it needed to be cut a little more?

Good question. It's probably hard to tell because of the angle of the picture but each heatsink has an air-gap between the three capacitors. I did about an hour of benchmarking and they don't really get that hot so I think what I have now should be sufficient. I'll consider placing a thermal probe on the caps once I test it with my new PWM controller which should be here tomorrow.