VOGONS

First post, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm working on this really neat Tangent 486DX2 33mhz workstation tower. Original plan was to restore it and sell it, but thinking about keeping it as my main DOS PC because it's just so neat. Problem is its very much setup to be an early windows workstation, not for DOS gaming. It's got 64mb of memory over 4 of these crazy "dual board" 16mb 30 pin simms no one has ever seen before, I plan on swapping those for less ram. And it has a workstation class VLB video card. An Orchid P9000 to be exact. My understanding is this was made specifically for high resolution accelerated windows graphics, and is pretty crappy at VGA yea?

So if I plan on making this more of a gamer im thinking it makes sense to sell the Orchid and replace it. Should I get a different VLB card or switch to ISA? I can get a VLB Cirrus Logic GD5426 2mb pretty cheap, I've read about the RAM limitation but plan on dropping that to 8mb or so anyway. Thoughts?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The RAM issue only applies if you need to run with a linear framebuffer and the card fails to map the framebuffer above 16MB despite being a VLB card. You can read all the precise details about it here: https://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/cirrus5.html#5

I don't think the Cirrus 542X driver that ships in Win95 even attempts linear framebuffer because of this issue.

I'll let others chime in about games that require a linear framebuffer (VESA VBE modes, etc.) but I suspect many of them aren't ones you'd run on a 486DX2.

If it's important to you I'd spring for a bit better VLB card.

Reply 3 of 7, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-26, 16:24:
The RAM issue only applies if you need to run with a linear framebuffer and the card fails to map the framebuffer above 16MB des […]
Show full quote

The RAM issue only applies if you need to run with a linear framebuffer and the card fails to map the framebuffer above 16MB despite being a VLB card. You can read all the precise details about it here: https://www.xfree86.org/3.3.6/cirrus5.html#5

I don't think the Cirrus 542X driver that ships in Win95 even attempts linear framebuffer because of this issue.

I'll let others chime in about games that require a linear framebuffer (VESA VBE modes, etc.) but I suspect many of them aren't ones you'd run on a 486DX2.

Thanks for the info! Newest version of windows would be 3.1 I'd most likely be lowering the ram amount anyway just due to game compatibility. But do you have any recommendations? Also am I correct that the Orchid is a poor choice for DOS stuff?

Reply 4 of 7, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-05-26, 19:16:
The RAM issue only applies if you need to run with a linear framebuffer and the card fails to map the framebuffer above 16MB des […]
Show full quote

Thanks for the info! Newest version of windows would be 3.1 I'd most likely be lowering the ram amount anyway just due to game compatibility. But do you have any recommendations? Also am I correct that the Orchid is a poor choice for DOS stuff?

mpe has a comparison here: https://dependency-injection.com/vlb-vga-group-test/
Scroll down toward the bottom under Test Results (unfortunately there are no anchor names to do #results on the URL or such)

The Diamond Viper VLB is the same chipset as your card. The reason it performs so poorly is that it is an ISA VGA and a VLB accelerator on a single card. When you go into Windows it flips from the ISA side to VLB, and back when you go into a DOS program.

The differences between VLB cards are not dramatic in DOS. In particular the Trident 9440AGi is not as bad as many remember (they remember Trident=slow) and there's a lot of them available. But your CL-GD5426 would be fine, a mid-range performer in that list, just be aware of the linear framebuffer issue.

Reply 5 of 7, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakethompson1 wrote on 2023-05-27, 00:53:
mpe has a comparison here: https://dependency-injection.com/vlb-vga-group-test/ Scroll down toward the bottom under Test Results […]
Show full quote
FinalJenemba wrote on 2023-05-26, 19:16:
Show full quote

mpe has a comparison here: https://dependency-injection.com/vlb-vga-group-test/
Scroll down toward the bottom under Test Results (unfortunately there are no anchor names to do #results on the URL or such)

The Diamond Viper VLB is the same chipset as your card. The reason it performs so poorly is that it is an ISA VGA and a VLB accelerator on a single card. When you go into Windows it flips from the ISA side to VLB, and back when you go into a DOS program.

The differences between VLB cards are not dramatic in DOS. In particular the Trident 9440AGi is not as bad as many remember (they remember Trident=slow) and there's a lot of them available. But your CL-GD5426 would be fine, a mid-range performer in that list, just be aware of the linear framebuffer issue.

Thanks for the link that was super helpful! My main concern with dos is compatibility. Someone was selling a VL41C/V2 which is an S3 805 based card for the same price as the Cirrus so I went for that. I've had good luck with S3 chips in the past so I think will do all I need it to do 🤣.

Reply 6 of 7, by FinalJenemba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to update the thread that the card came in and is working great! I can't believe how much the Orchid card was holding the 486 back in DOS. My Topbench score almost doubled, all of my compatibility issues went away as well, older games like Lemmings play perfectly now. It seems to have VESA support built in so VESA games just play no UniVBE needed which is nice. It had 1mb of vram, I happened to have a couple chips I pulled from a dead card laying around so I dropped them in to upgrade to 2mb. Doubt this will matter at all in DOS but maybe will help in windows. I haven't tried it in Windows yet but it sure flys in DOS, Doom and Duke 3D both play as fast as you could ever expect them too on a 486, and are actually playable. Thanks for the help!

Attachments