VOGONS

First post, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

A while ago I took away a haul of old workshop/server PCs and related parts. In one of the PCs was some kind of SCSI setup. Initially, I couldn't identify where to plug the video cable into, but this card here has what I can only presume is the VGA port.

But, it also has another strange port that looks like VGA, but is wider (with more pins. Still three offset rows of them, just like VGA).

I can't seem to find much information on it from the various identification labels on the board or chips (though other pictures do exist online), would any of you be able to help tell me what this card is and what it's for? (and maybe also point me to some drivers so I can test this, if you can?)

The PC it came from was a Socket 478 with a Celeron of some kind in, and a Windows XP sticker on the front. There was also a twin of this system but with more conventional expansion cards, and there were other PCs with Windows XP stickers on in the haul (one of which was being upgraded to Windows 7, haha), so while none of them came with their installation hard drives in place, I can only presume it had been running Windows XP while it was still being used?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 7, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is a video card that uses the CHIPS B69000 (if I'm correct), originally intended for notebook computers. Here is a datasheet for more information: https://pccomponents.com/datasheets/ASIL-B6900.PDF

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 7, by lti

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It has 2MB of embedded RAM, so it won't be that slow (although the NeoMagic chips with embedded RAM weren't that fast). The weird connector is some kind of digital video output, based on the Silicon Image chip next to it.

Reply 5 of 7, by teh_Foxx0rz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So, it's regular enough that I should be able to just plug it in and test it out then? Good to know. Might test it on my Pentium MMX "time machine" to see how it handles DOS and Windows 95 games and report back performance 😜

Would be neat to try out this digital video connector, I wonder if there's an adapter to DVI or something, but video is video so I'm not hugely fussed about that at all heh.

Thanks everyone!

Reply 6 of 7, by JustJulião

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My F65550 Bruined the first LCD screen I tried it on (from its VGA output). So I'd try it on a screen I don't care about first. I can only use mine on a capture device + Obs.

I have also one with the same chip as yours from NCR, it works with any screen though.