Passive cooling on a Geforce2 GTS?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 34, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
smullyoz wrote on 2023-06-12, 14:11:

Problem is the slot for the fan power on the card is that little three pin thing. The ones from your photo won't work.
When googling the fan part # i found a fan replacement but that's $40 with shipping and ill still have to use the original heatsink which is pretty crappy.

Any other video cards besides the GTS use that 3 pin power?

The third pin is unnecessary. If you really want, you can even take the power from molex connector. 😁

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 22 of 34, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just an update, the little fan i ordered from ebay got returned to sender for some reason so i did this instead.

Kept the Geforce4 mx heatsink on the card
Took the fan off a 9400GT that i wasnt using.
Cut the wires, then cut the wires off a random USB cable, and spliced them together.
Attached the fan to the heatsink using elastic bands.
Connected the usb back to the computer.

Works pretty good and the card looks like it stays cool.

vRztuUm.jpg

Reply 26 of 34, by GigAHerZ

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even slightest constant movement of air over the heatsink's fins makes a huge difference. For this card, it really doesn't matter, what fan there is. If the cooling system is active - that's all you need.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody." - And i intend to get every last bit out of it even after loading every damn driver!

Reply 28 of 34, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would fear the elastic bands snapping and the fan knocking off SMD components while the thing's running.

Nah, too weak for that too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 29 of 34, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I understand that a large part of a fan's effectiveness comes from the fact that there is an enclosing structure around the blades (that is as close to the fan blade edges as possible). So a fan that does not have an enclosure around it seems like it will lose performance. Not sure if it matters at all in this case though.

Still, that heat sink screams for a 40mm (or a 60mm?) Noctua fan on it. Dooo eeet 😀

Reply 30 of 34, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Disruptor wrote on 2023-07-13, 02:24:

Looks a bit like Frankenstein's work.
I hope you won't put your fingers into that case while it is running.

Did couple of times but the fan just stops its not that big.

Reply 31 of 34, by smullyoz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
clb wrote on 2023-07-13, 18:27:

I understand that a large part of a fan's effectiveness comes from the fact that there is an enclosing structure around the blades (that is as close to the fan blade edges as possible). So a fan that does not have an enclosure around it seems like it will lose performance. Not sure if it matters at all in this case though.

Still, that heat sink screams for a 40mm (or a 60mm?) Noctua fan on it. Dooo eeet 😀

I think it does lose effectiveness but it seems like it does good enough job for the GTS as the heatsink just warm to the touch during gaming. While it was pretty hot without the fan.

Do you have a link to one of these fans im curious to see what they look like?

Reply 32 of 34, by clb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Check the "40mm" and "3-pin" dropdowns at https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

There are 20mm and lower profile 10mm tall fans there, for both 12V and 5V power feed. You'll need either a 12V or 5V molex -> 3-pin fan adapter, depending on the voltage you decide to go with. Both 12V and 5V have the same performance, it is just a convention.

A 12V -> 3-pin fan adapter looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Connector-Comp … 0_t3_B099DZY2VF

Looks like 12V adapters might be easier to come by, so probably better to go with that. The only 5V -> 3-pin fan adapter I found with a quick search was this: https://www.aliexpress.com/i/1005004091175049.html which is a bit bulky for one fan.

Reply 33 of 34, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
smullyoz wrote on 2023-07-13, 02:13:
Just an update, the little fan i ordered from ebay got returned to sender for some reason so i did this instead. […]
Show full quote

Just an update, the little fan i ordered from ebay got returned to sender for some reason so i did this instead.

Kept the Geforce4 mx heatsink on the card
Took the fan off a 9400GT that i wasnt using.
Cut the wires, then cut the wires off a random USB cable, and spliced them together.
Attached the fan to the heatsink using elastic bands.
Connected the usb back to the computer.

Works pretty good and the card looks like it stays cool.

vRztuUm.jpg

That's a neat solution 😁
If using rubber bands, be mindful these will dry out after a while (I've actually never seen older rubber bands inside a PC case I somehow got that hadn't dried out yet (sometimes crumbling apart, any stretch it may have had was long gone)).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!