VOGONS

First post, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello guys. Like mentioned in my first threat I am about to get started for my first late dos and early Windows 98SE gaming rig up to the year 1999. Latest game I am into is Q3 Arena.

In the mean time I figured out some core components already

slot 1
intel 440bx chipset

cpu speed is going to be between 400 and 800 mhz

Cpu is question to pick are a p2, p3 , or Intel celeron. AMD K6 is the grey horse at the moment. More research is required about the cpu before I can say it is an option as well.

So far the most interesting cpu for me would be a celeron 733 mhz. We are going to have fleamarket next week and I got word that some of these cpus are going to be sold there. But I am also still open for other cpu suggestions as well

Sound card is either going to a sound blaster live or audigy card.

But now to my question.

I am looking for a good card that works well with both late Dos and Windows games up to 99.

As long term lurker I am aware there 2 different school of thoughts here.

Either go with contemopary a gpu (in my case this would mean get a higher end 99 card like riva tnt 2, or mabye matrox g400, Voodoo 3, Ati rage 128pro) or go back to the future so to speak and grab something from the geforce 2, 3, 4 or even fx generation. The Radeon 8 and 9 series are also offered quite often.

Let's asume now for a moment that I am going to end up with celeron 733mhz.

Which graphics card (no matter of which school of though I am open to both ways) offer the most power with the highest possible compabiity of Dos games and Win 98 games up to 99?

Last edited by gamefan_851 on 2023-06-10, 09:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 14, by fxgogo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am no expert, but I picked up an abandoned machine a few years back. It was a Pentium 133 with a Voodoo 3 2000 in it. After restoring it back to working condition, I have been playing around with various OS options. The Voodoo has worked well in DOS, Win 95 and Win 98.

Reply 3 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fxgogo wrote on 2023-06-10, 09:29:

So I am no expert, but I picked up an abandoned machine a few years back. It was a Pentium 133 with a Voodoo 3 2000 in it. After restoring it back to working condition, I have been playing around with various OS options. The Voodoo has worked well in DOS, Win 95 and Win 98.

Thanks for your reply. Voodoo cards are interesting indeed. They are also great vantage gaming cards for sure but I am not sure they are worth the asking price that is prevalent on places like Ebay at the moment...?

@Kolderman Thanks for your recommendation.

Reply 4 of 14, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Don't get into paralysis by analysis. It's good wanting to make an informed decision, but only if you actually make a decision and act on it. You'll only learn through experience what you actually need and want.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 5 of 14, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A Riva TNT2, Pro or Ultra, not M64 though, would probably be fine and would be able to run the games from the period you mentioned. If somehow you still need more power then any GeForce 2 you can find would be a good choice.

Reply 6 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote on 2023-06-10, 16:36:

A Riva TNT2, Pro or Ultra, not M64 though, would probably be fine and would be able to run the games from the period you mentioned. If somehow you still need more power then any GeForce 2 you can find would be a good choice.

Thanks for your recommendation. One of the better TNT2 cards sounds like a very good option. For more a GF 2 or a Qudro card would be a good option.

@RandomStranger You have a point. Overthinking is never good. I just wanted to make sure not to get some compents would accidently interfere with my dos and win9x plans.

So far I already know what I want

slot 1

intel 440bx chipset

a cpu between 400 and 800 mhz ( Pentium 2, Pentium 3 and cerleron are main options)

concerning the gpu Riva TNT 2 pro or Ultra, or GF 2/GF Quadro would be main main pics.

That are the basics that are not going to chance anymore.

Reply 8 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-06-11, 00:21:

Geforce2 GTS is nice fit for older chipset and PII processors.

Cheers,

Thanks for the advice. Yes the Geforce 2 GTS looks interesting indeed. Not the cheapest card out there but still in the price range I would consider as acceptable. I do not mind buying a bit more for a then premium card as long they are not as expensive as the 3dfx Voodoo cards.

Reply 10 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Warlord wrote on 2023-06-12, 03:24:

geforce mx 440 is perfectly fine for that system. Theyre cheap and they wont bottle neck 800mhz.

Thanks for the info. The mx 440 also showed up quite often during my research as viable choice and I have to agree. They are really cheap and still have good performance for the stuff I want to do on my upcoming vantage computer.

It would be the perfect starting point. Other good alternatives like above mentioned geforce 2 gts and the quadro cards also do not cost a fortune but they are more expensive than the mx440.

So I'd say that the mx440 is my favourite as of now.

The other only competion for the mx440 price wise would be some radeon 9000 cards.

I have limited my research to nvidia cards only as of now so I cannot say if the ati radeon 9000 cards would be viable alternative for me yet.

Like I said the price would be good but more research about the performance is required before I can make a decision.

Reply 11 of 14, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

At some point you have to pull the trigger and buy stuff. I do think your at that point as your research keeps coming up with good options.
Go with the Celeron 733 on a BX motherboard with a MX440 as you can find it all at a good price and availability, should serve you well and you can always upgrade if something doesn't work out how you wanted (not that I think you'll need)

Reply 12 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chinny22 wrote on 2023-06-12, 08:36:

At some point you have to pull the trigger and buy stuff. I do think your at that point as your research keeps coming up with good options.
Go with the Celeron 733 on a BX motherboard with a MX440 as you can find it all at a good price and availability, should serve you well and you can always upgrade if something doesn't work out how you wanted (not that I think you'll need)

You certainly have a point. Gathering to much info just leads to further delay without any real gain. I need to start to act. I am going to get 440bx mb and the mx 440 this week. Then try to get the 733 celeron on the flea market to get started.

There too many potential possible combinations for my set to worry about. If think too much about I am going to never start .

I just stick to my basics.

Reply 13 of 14, by devius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-06-12, 06:41:

.... but more research about the performance is required before I can make a decision.

Or, you could just buy all of them if the price is right for you 😁

Reply 14 of 14, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
devius wrote on 2023-06-12, 18:04:
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-06-12, 06:41:

.... but more research about the performance is required before I can make a decision.

Or, you could just buy all of them if the price is right for you 😁

This could totally happen, I might need to graphics cards anyway for an alternative build. I will go with the ASUS P2B motherboard route mainly (I was able to snatch one today but there might an old pentium 4 family pc still at my parents house that might get resurected as well but we see about that.