VOGONS

First post, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There you have it ladies and gentlemen, an old thing i had for a long time in a closet that i always had on my "repair list" i don't even know if it works but today i started the process by baring the traces.
Now i soldered a lot of stuff over the years, thin traces too but never so many and so near each other, any advice for a microsoldering station ? it looks doable but painful, at least the right tool is gonna make it better.

Attachments

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 1 of 10, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is far large task for you but easy for expert at this type, but this is routinely done on cell phones to bridge broken tracks by scraping away layer by layers and jump them, this was caused by long screw or cracked. Some are so darned good at rebuilding 5 layers of traces of a paper thin flex that was torn in two. You need a microscope with large depth. I suggest take that to a phone repair shop who do this kind of repair and have them reconnect these for you. Not a big deal for them.

I had come across one once with a buried broken track on a iphone's motherboard severed the battery SWI gauge at battery connector to the chip. Found nearest good connection and ran almost 2 inches of wire and made the new connection.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 3 of 10, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I wish there were people like that here, maybe, i'm going to ask around and show them the pictures but serious phone repairing is pretty much non existent here.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 4 of 10, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, i think i found a decent repair shop relatively nearby, if somebody has multiple pictures of that same card in that same spot with the pins in perfect conditions it would help me quite a bit.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 5 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That’s just a reference design Voodoo II board, plenty of high resolution images such as those on vgamuseum.

https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item … 4-3dfx-voodoo-2

Reply 6 of 10, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2023-06-17, 09:06:

That’s just a reference design Voodoo II board, plenty of high resolution images such as those on vgamuseum.

https://www.vgamuseum.info/index.php/cpu/item … 4-3dfx-voodoo-2

I guess you are right, hopefully this will make it work again, everything else seems fine.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 7 of 10, by sdz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's totally doable, with a good soldering station, proper cartridges, good flux and a microscope. I personally use a JBC station with C210 cartridges, and I fixed quite a few V2 cards that had ripped pins.
Edit: and some good sharp tweezers.

Reply 8 of 10, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sdz wrote on 2023-06-17, 11:54:

It's totally doable, with a good soldering station, proper cartridges, good flux and a microscope. I personally use a JBC station with C210 cartridges, and I fixed quite a few V2 cards that had ripped pins.
Edit: and some good sharp tweezers.

Thank you for the advice, i will keep those products in line for the future, i'm pretty good at soldering already and did tons of repairs and mods, at this moment in time though i will let a store do the job.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png

Reply 9 of 10, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The hard part is already done (getting pins exposed on the chip), rest should be quite straight forward. I use individual strands of a thin multistrand wire which I properly tin up first. I solder the chip side first, then bring the hair to the PCB and solder it there, then cut and move to next one. You can do the cutting later too as the extra length increases thermal mass and reduces chance of desoldering when working on the next pad nearby.
I also use a razor knife to separate the pins from each other if there's any clumping, and two of them to straighten them out. Fine tweezers are also a must have.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 10, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-06-17, 17:42:

The hard part is already done (getting pins exposed on the chip), rest should be quite straight forward. I use individual strands of a thin multistrand wire which I properly tin up first. I solder the chip side first, then bring the hair to the PCB and solder it there, then cut and move to next one. You can do the cutting later too as the extra length increases thermal mass and reduces chance of desoldering when working on the next pad nearby.
I also use a razor knife to separate the pins from each other if there's any clumping, and two of them to straighten them out. Fine tweezers are also a must have.

Let's praise the dremel for being an amazing piece of engineering i did the work with that and it wasn't even that hard, even though i had to be precise and delicate.
I'm getting tempted into fixing it myself.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png