VOGONS

First post, by kcajjones

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm thinking of building a retro PC for Windows 9x/XP gaming and I'm thinking I'd get a Radeon 9800 Pro (I had a Radeon 9700 Pro years ago and my nostalga misses it a lot!). I've found a Gigabyte Radeon 9800 Pro in what looks to be good working condition but I've no idea what it should be worth.

I'm in the UK but I imagine retro hardware will be bought/shipped around the world so any comparative knowledge would be good.

Reply 1 of 3, by Astrolux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There are a lot of Radeons 9800. Please look at memory bandwidth, it must be 256, not 128. And stay away from tsop memory. Anyway Gigabyte should be good. In Russia it costs around 20 euro or less in working condition. We had a lot of these cards sold in 2003/2004.

Reply 2 of 3, by iraito

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, it's an excellent card, i would add a custom cooler though, the pro series has really luckluster coolers and most cards die for that reason.

uRj9ajU.pngqZbxQbV.png
If you wanna check a blue ball playing retro PC games
MIDI Devices: RA-50 (modded to MT-32) SC-55

Reply 3 of 3, by kyonthinh+

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In Germany local listing 9800 Pro costs about 30-40 EUR. I would get the Sapphire V2 9800 Pro if you can find one. They have good heat sink and if you can mod a fan to them, they're very robust. Also they have temp report in Everest.