VOGONS

First post, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Like the title says, I've got a GeForce 2 Pro that needs some repairs. From what I can tell, I see 2 components missing from the board. Here are some pics.

IMG_0557.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0557.JPEG
File size
682.67 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_0558.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0558.JPEG
File size
554.11 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_0559.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0559.JPEG
File size
558.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
IMG_0561.JPEG
Filename
IMG_0561.JPEG
File size
534.58 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

At C112 it looks like I'm missing a capacitor. I would assume it's the same as the ones near it, like C111. Not sure what my options are. My only thought is to assume it's the same, desolder the cap from C111 and measure it. But that seems really brute force, and just a bit of a shot in the dark too. Is there a better way I don't know about?

And at D200 we've got another missing component, and the one beside it appears to have been bumped as well. I don't really know what these are, and I can't find anything online with that "C3 05 t" marking on it. Any help would be appreciated. I've got a couple other dead video cards with the same looking components near their VGA ports as well, would it be as simple as harvesting from them, or could I run into trouble? The markings are different, so I'm not sure if that could mean different specs or not.

Cheers.

Reply 1 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This bent thing near D200 "C3 05 T" is the same SMD transistor as D200 and it's there, just slightly desoldered. Try to resolder it on its proper position. If it does not work - change it. Just search and find suitable SMD replacment for C3 05 T.

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 2 of 7, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, this is my problem. I can’t find anything about this “C3 05 t” part.

I don’t know how to decode it, and I can’t find any really useful reference to it online.

I’m fully willing to accept that I’m a complete idiot and that the answer is right in front of my face, but right now I can’t find anything useful.

Reply 3 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You're right, without circuit diagram there's no easy way to find info for this obsolete missing SMD component "C3 05 T" on the internet. My best guess is it's SOT23 formfactor (you can check this by element's physical dimensions) and there are some possibilities to be double diode, VRM or MOSFET/transistor. Assume that "T" is for transistor/MOSFET, but it is not guarantee for sure.

What would I have done in this case? i would desolder one of the other "healthy looking" C3 05 T and test it with component/transistor tester (for example some cheap LCR-T4) - this will give the type and basic parameters of the component. Once I know for sure if it is a MOSFET or something else, by the measured parameters I will look for the closest substitute/analogue.

The missing capacitor may not be fatal if it is decoupling capacitor - the card should work without it. Check if one of the missing cap's pads is shorted to ground. If it is so, it will be very likely to be a decoupling capacitor and it is OK to just skip it for now.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 5 of 7, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Okay, thanks for the info.

I used a meter on the pads of the missing capacitor, and yes, one of them goes to ground.

So, if neither of these components are strictly necessary, I guess it's back to the drawing board to figure out my issues.

Thanks guys.

Reply 6 of 7, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No idea or opinion about the 3-legged component.
As far as the capacitor - as was mentioned it's probably not critical. Desoldering and measuring another one is problematic because you reach a point where you're measuring your own equipment more than the device. These capacitors are so small that it's not easy to accurately measure them.
If you want to replace it with something, you might get away with just finding near to the largest capacitance value ceramic capacitor that fits in that physical footprint, with say a 50V rating (ceramic caps derate badly when operated near their rated maximum voltage, there are different grades for how badly they do that).

Reply 7 of 7, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2023-07-10, 00:04:

These capacitors are so small that it's not easy to accurately measure them.

For measurements of very small SMD components I use these

testtweezers.jpg
Filename
testtweezers.jpg
File size
17.22 KiB
Views
File comment
test twizzers
File license
Public domain

and a piece of scotch tape to hold desoldered miniature component.