VOGONS

First post, by Prescott

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Next to no one in existence has proof of 3D acceleration on these OSes. Why? What is the point of an OS being fully 32-bit if there isn't 3D acceleration? 3D acceleration came alongside OSes upgrading to 32-bit in the mid-1990s, so they go hand-in-hand, except OS/2 Warp 4 and especially Windows NT 3.51 don't seem to have any drivers for any 3D accelerators available to them. Not even a Voodoo 2...

Without 3D acceleration, these two OSes are entirely unusable, as 32-bit with no 3D acceleration is entirely pointless. May as well just go back to DOS and Windows 3.1.

Supposedly, the ATI Rage Pro apparently does have drivers for Windows NT 3.51, and SciTech Display Doctor can make all kinds of graphics cards work fully on OS/2 Warp 4.

While we are at it, if any of them do support and/or work on these OSes, then are any of them emulated in any PC emulator?

Reply 1 of 6, by TrashPanda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both were for servers and businesses or production environments requiring higher security and stability than what a consumer os could provide.

They also predate the major 3D acceleration push and have little to no API support for it. OpenGL would have been the only major 3D API they support with proprietary drivers and hardware.

As for usability I think you are a little hyperbolic about that.

Reply 2 of 6, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

OS/2 Warp 4 was quite an early bird by comparison, even. It shipped in 1996 with OpenGL.
It also had voice-recognition and a high performance generic video driver (Generic GRADD).
Windows 95 didn't even feature DirectX at the time (not to mention OpenGL; that was available separately).
The "Windows 95 Game SDK" was from late 1995, but didn't feature Direct3D yet. Merely DirectSound, DirectPlay and DirectDraw.
OS/2 Warp had something similar, DIVE.

@TrashPanda "Hyperbolic"! YMMD! 😹

Edit: I vaguely remember that major CAD/CAM programs had their own graphics drivers.
Even in the Windows and OS/2 days.
They were being mentioned on the card board box of old graphics cards.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 6, by marxveix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Rage II/II+ has ATi original OpenGL drivers for Windows NT 3.51, i have not tested them (OPGL351.EXE and OPGL351.TXT)
maybe they work with Rage2c AGP cards also somehow, but for sure they are for RageII and RageII+ earlier ATi videocards.

OPGL351.EXE 714,6 kB Display Driver with OpenGL support for ATI 3D RAGE II/II+, this is release R101.16 of the ATI 3D RAGE II June 26,1997 - Windows NT 3.51 OpenGL driver.

Also we have Windows NT 4.0 driver with OpenGL support for 3D RAGE PRO and 3D RAGE II+ / II - release 4.3.92 of the ATI October 8,1997 (nt404392.exe and nt404392.txt)

nt404392.txt readme has available OpenGL driver support info for theses cards and systems:
3D RAGE PRO: Windows NT 4.0 (ON WEB and ON CD) , Windows NT 3.51 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD)
3D RAG E II/II+: Windows NT 4.0 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD), Windows NT 3.51 (ON WEB, N/A ON CD)

ON WEB - The driver is available on h t t p : / w w w . a t i t e c h . c a
ON CD - The driver is available on CD ROM.

Rage3 cards are faster in 3D tasks, NT3.51 drivers without OpenGL i have for Rage Pro :
Anybody has file or file name for Rage Pro and NT 3.51 drivers with OpenGL support that ATi is talking about, like OPGL351.EXE is for RageII/II+?
I hope someone can share those missing files. NT 3.51 has OpenGL 1.0 support and RageII+DVD would be nice to test it out for that old NT3.51.

Rage2 WinNT 3.51/NT4.0 OpenGL drivers are here:
https://www.upload.ee/files/15435715/winnt-ra … rivers.zip.html

31 different MiniGL/OpenGL Win9x files for all Rage 3 cards: Re: ATi RagePro OpenGL files

Reply 4 of 6, by Garrett W

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Prescott wrote on 2023-07-13, 08:14:

Without 3D acceleration, these two OSes are entirely unusable, as 32-bit with no 3D acceleration is entirely pointless. May as well just go back to DOS and Windows 3.1.

I work with, among other things, AIX systems at my job, so this is such a weird statement to me.

Reply 5 of 6, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why? What is the point of an OS being fully 32-bit if there isn't 3D acceleration?

Proper 32-bit OSes were more robust and reliable at the time for servers, business, workstation and software development. Gaming wasn't a priority for these.

3D acceleration came alongside OSes upgrading to 32-bit in the mid-1990s, so they go hand-in-hand, except OS/2 Warp 4 and especially Windows NT 3.51 don't seem to have any drivers for any 3D accelerators available to them. Not even a Voodoo 2...

As others mentioned, OpenGL is the only viable option. However, that API wasn't originally intended for consumer hardware.

I find this statement weird as well.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 6 of 6, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Garrett W wrote on 2023-07-13, 10:34:

I work with, among other things, AIX systems at my job, so this is such a weird statement to me.

I quit that world like six years ago and there were still some AIX render farms running.