VOGONS

First post, by Demolition-Man

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
For fun and interest I bought an S3 Sage 4 (CT6850) as a PCI variant. Unfortunately there are a few problems. I haven't tested everything yet: The picture quality in DOS could be better, but it's sufficient. The speed is good under DOS (apparently based on the S3 Trio64V+) but no comparison to the DOS core from Nvidia. It doesn't matter, the speed is enough for everything. The VBE support is only ok, the DOSBENCH benchmark no. 6 (VESA mode 101) leads to a freeze. You can fix that with S3vbefix, but it's still a bit annoying. The benchmark e) (Quake 640 resolution) is running at the wrong resolution, but other graphics cards have this as well. And the page flip feature in Armored Fist 2 has stopped working, but the game still functions normally.
Windows has the usual problems of finding a newer or the latest driver. The Philscomputerlab one doesn't work, or at least not on my Creative PCI variant. I got one from a weird driver site. It works quite well, but offers no extra functions. Date 10-24 2000. Almost everything works, of course the card has its limits, only with SimCity 3000, no matter whether normal or ultimate, the speed collapses completely, which is a shame because I had started exactly this game again before changing the graphics card. I would appreciate downloads, tips and advice.
Thanks!