VOGONS

First post, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello folks,
I got a Quadro FX4000 some months ago. I tested it, got recognized in Windows, drivers installed and could benchmark it (3D Mark etc). It was a bit slower than expected, I sometimes got a warning during Windows startup saying there was a power issue with the card, I didn't have the time to investigate and put it aside.

I inspected the card last weekend and found that there are some SMD components missing. One large capacitor 330uf/16V, that's easy to fix.
The issue is some really small components, which are either resistors or capacitors.

I would help a lot if someone from the community that has this card (or the 6800 Ultra, board design seems to be the same) could load some good resolution pictures on the regions affected. Or alternatively list the components if they are known.

I looked around the web for high resolution pictures, unfortunately I didn't find one. Tried also board drawing, BOM or diagrams, no luck so far. That's why I'm resorting the the community here.

Front Picture (pink arrow shows the region affected)
QUADRO-FX4000-FRONT.jpg

Detail on area 1 affected (3 pairs of pads with missing components, right above Q2 - there is a smd capacitor on the left)
QUADRO-FX-4000-FRONT.jpg

Rear Picture (blue arrow and pink arrows showing affected regions)
QUADRO-FX4000-BACK.jpg

Detail on area 2 affected (zoom on blue arrow above: 2 or 3 pairs of pads with missing components, just left of capacitor c686)
QUADRO-FX-4000-REAR-1.jpg

Details on area 3 affected (zoom on pink arrow above, card back: 2 pairs of pads with missing components, between C522/C524 markings)
QUADRO-FX-4000-REAR-2.jpg

I hope someone can help, I would love to restore and have this card running 100% again. I don't have many AGP cards and this was supposed to be one of my options for a Win98 machine.

Thanks in advance, kind regards

Reply 1 of 4, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finally found something I could use. I got a reference drawing for a NV40 high end board, which seems to be a reference design for the 6800Ultra/FX4000 (pdf file attached).

I found also high resolution pictures of the board on a russian website, which helped confirm if the components missing were a resistor or a capacitor.
Front
6800-ultra-agp-pcb.jpg
Back
6800-ultra-agp-back.jpg

Based on my limited knowledge, on the drawing and after poking pads with a multimeter, I think I figured out the missing SMD components:
Area 1:
R103 (22K Ohm) and C116 (0.047 uf/16V) / both 0402 size

Slide1.png

Area 2:
R562 (12K Ohm) and C572 (0.1 uf/16v) / both 0402 size

Slide2.png

EDITED: where I marked R652 it is actually R602. I mistyped on the picture.

As for area 3, I could not locate it on the drawing. It is right behind U18 (on the front of the board). Probing whatever is nearby, it seems that the missing components are:
Horizontally a R0 (0 Ohm) resistor 0402
Vertically a capacitor 0603 4.7uf 6.3V

Slide3.png

I'm ordering the parts, they are not expensive. It will take a couple of weeks to arrive, in the meantime if someone thinks I got it wrong, please let me know.

I hope this helps someone in the future if they need these references (drawing and high resolution pictures). It took me a while and a lot of digging to find them.
Regards

Attachments

• Filename
    nvidia_40p201_nv40_board_sch.pdf
    File size
    562.78 KiB
    Downloads
    27 downloads
    File comment
    Nvidia 6800Ultra/FX4000 electrical schematics
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
Last edited by Aladim on 2023-08-13, 16:23. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 4, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Good job! Where did you sourced the diagrams for the card?

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 4, by Aladim

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. First I found it on a russian website that required some sort of reputation points to download.

After more digging, I found it here:

https://elektrotanya.com/nvidia_40p201_nv40_b … f/download.html

I have zero knowledge on sites where I could find diagrams. I see some youtubers fixing cards and using cad files, I asked around (youtube) but nobody replied. I think the design and engineering for this board is too old (or not popular) to get as cad files (which definitely where available at that time). They would be more friendly to handle as it links connections and components automatically. Old school requires more knowledge and goind through it. I hope I got it right.
Regards

Reply 4 of 4, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Aladim wrote on 2023-08-13, 16:19:

I know this site, but I did not suppose that there could be found diagrams for old videocards. Thanks for the info!

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"