VOGONS

First post, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I have two identical Riva TNT2 M64 16MB AGP cards and both of them have the same issues.

With Asus A7V133-C the 3D functionality is very bad, nothing I tested works properly, Quake 2 & 3, Unreal Tournament (using D3D) and 3D Mark 2001. Graphics glitches everywhere, this what Quake 3 looked: https://youtu.be/b4xKZQIDtzE

Switching to Abit AB-BH6 and now Quake 2 & 3 work fine, Unreal Tournament works if I switch it to use OpenGL but D3D is still a mess, 3D Mark 2001 is total garbage with this setup, even worse than with A7V133-C.

I tried two drivers so far, latest from Nvidia's site and one from previous generation of Forceware.

Since two similar cards have same issues I think it's about compatibility? I have never used these Riva cards when they were relevant, only GeForce cards.

Reply 1 of 3, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
william9 wrote on 2023-08-05, 09:09:

I tried two drivers so far, latest from Nvidia's site and one from previous generation of Forceware.

i'm assuming this is under 9x, the driver is most likely the issue - the last 9x nvidia drivers are really bad for TNT cards. don't have an exact version at hand to recommend but for starters, try something from around 2001. the differences between the boards may be down to the via chipset board requiring a certain 4in1 driver or such, which isn't an issue on 440BX that will work right out of the box.

Reply 2 of 3, by william9

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, I forgot to mention but Windows 98 is the OS. I downloaded older drivers from Phils Computer Lab site and indeed the D3D version of UT worked normally, interestingly OpenGL mode was now extremely slow slideshow, unplayable.

Reply 3 of 3, by bloodem

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, these cards are very compatible. What you are seeing is simply a driver issue (or a combination of driver/platform/other variables).
Try Detonator 7.76, a period correct driver from 2001, and everything should work just fine. Also, stick to DirectX 7.0.

1 x PLCC-68 / 2 x PGA132 / 5 x Skt 3 / 9 x Skt 7 / 12 x SS7 / 1 x Skt 8 / 14 x Slot 1 / 5 x Slot A
5 x Skt 370 / 8 x Skt A / 2 x Skt 478 / 2 x Skt 754 / 3 x Skt 939 / 7 x LGA775 / 1 x LGA1155
Current PC: Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Backup PC: Core i7 7700k