VOGONS

First post, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a Radeon 9800 Pro All in Wonder that still has the stock heatsink with a fan that still seems to run okay. I've repasted the card, but I'm still worried that the card might die since 9700/9800s are known to drop like flies.

I have one of those cheap Chinese eBay coolers, but I'm not sure if I want to put it on. The surface where the cooler contacts the die isn't the smoothest; I'm sure the paste would fill it in fine enough, but it still concerns me a little. I'll also have to cut off the extraneous mounting holes as those will most definitely interfere with the TV tuner. I'm also not against the idea of modding a CPU cooler onto it, but with the TV tuner being so close to one of the mounting holes it may be pretty tricky.

I know that removing the shim is probably going to be necessary for upgrading the heatsink, so I'm prepared for that, and I already plan on adding RAM heatsinks regardless if I upgrade the GPU heatsink or not. Any suggestions on what direction I should go?

(Camera didn't really capture the heatsink very well, this was the best view I could get of it)

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Use a thermal camera (or your finger 😀 .
And looped Nature test from 3Dmark03.
And everything will become clear.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 9, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I use those coolers on both of my 9800 SE's and my Ti4600 and Quadro4 700 XGL cards. Not the best fit for your card, but it's probably worth the effort.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 3 of 9, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-08-15, 02:36:

Use a thermal camera (or your finger 😀 .
And looped Nature test from 3Dmark03.
And everything will become clear.

It's been a bit since I've used the card. I don't remember the cooler getting overly hot, but I could always give it the old finger test and see if it burns me.

Reply 4 of 9, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-15, 03:41:

It's been a bit since I've used the card. I don't remember the cooler getting overly hot, but I could always give it the old finger test and see if it burns me.

Sorry, I understand you, as if you are not sure that it needs to be changed.
The 9800 is a very hot card with a 50W TDP.
Cooler is a must to change anyway.

If you are diligent enough, you can simply cut off the excess part of the mounting plate if it rests on something.
Even a needle file.
It will turn out fine, the main thing is to start.

PS. About an alternative cooler.
You will definitely have to sawing radiator. As an option - from P3 or P4. But you need to change the bearings, otherwise it will be very noisy
They have a thick base, you can cut out anything you want without violating the strength of the radiator.

Attachments

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 5 of 9, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-14, 23:33:

. I'm also not against the idea of modding a CPU cooler onto it, but with the TV tuner being so close to one of the mounting holes it may be pretty tricky.

You can remove original anemic cooler and install 80mm fan on stock radiator. But I think Zalman ZM80-HP will also fit without obstructing TV-Tunder part.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 6 of 9, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's the solution I came up with. I used a 70mm fan that I pulled probably from an old Socket 478 heatsink years ago. It's pretty loud, but it moves a ton of air at full blast and the noise doesn't really bother me that much.
It definitely seems to be helping. You can really feel the heat blowing off of this thing now. The RAM heatsinks are just some small copper ones I found for cheap on Amazon that I stuck on using thermal tape. They seem to be doing a decent job so hopefully I won't have to worry about having a RAM chip fail or the solder joints cracking.

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-24, 20:50:

Here's the solution I came up with. I used a 70mm fan that I pulled probably from an old Socket 478 heatsink years ago. It's pretty loud, but it moves a ton of air at full blast and the noise doesn't really bother me that much.
It definitely seems to be helping. You can really feel the heat blowing off of this thing now. The RAM heatsinks are just some small copper ones I found for cheap on Amazon that I stuck on using thermal tape. They seem to be doing a decent job so hopefully I won't have to worry about having a RAM chip fail or the solder joints cracking.

What size heatsinks did you go for on the RAM chips? And are you happy with the fit of them?

Reply 8 of 9, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
danieljm wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:25:

What size heatsinks did you go for on the RAM chips? And are you happy with the fit of them?

They're about half an inch (roughly 15mm) by half an inch and they fit great. I did use my own thermal tape mainly because I didn't realize they included it in the packaging until I looked just now. Don't know if the adhesive they provide is any good or not, but they work fine with my roll of cheap $15 thermal tape.

Here's the link to them on Amazon US if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3JT86Q?ref_=cm_ … BPJA5R4EJHDS2ZZ

Reply 9 of 9, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
NTG2001 wrote on 2023-08-25, 00:02:
danieljm wrote on 2023-08-24, 23:25:

They're about half an inch (roughly 15mm) by half an inch and they fit great. I did use my own thermal tape mainly because I didn't realize they included it in the packaging until I looked just now. Don't know if the adhesive they provide is any good or not, but they work fine with my roll of cheap $15 thermal tape.

Here's the link to them on Amazon US if you're interested: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3JT86Q?ref_=cm_ … BPJA5R4EJHDS2ZZ

Perfect! Thanks for the info.