VOGONS

First post, by T-Squared

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know what it is with ATI's installation wizards for Windows XP, but they seem to be as buggy as all-get-out.

So many I have tried, yet they ALL hang either as soon as the "InstallShield is preparing..." window goes away, or they don't start at all.

Running on the Administrator account is an option, but I believe I tried that, and didn't get anywhere either.

I'm trying to install a 3D Rage Pro, with an alternate Windows XP driver that I downloaded from a tucked-away page on the Internet Archive, but, as I started this topic with it, that has the same problem as the grand majority of the other ATI-based installers I tried to run.

Furthermore, the system gives me a "This device cannot start (Code 10)" error in the properties. I've only seen this when I used a video card not outwardly supported by WinXP.

Is there a way to extract/translate the .CAB files/.XX_ (i.e. HL_) driver files?

EDIT: I'm a dope. XP can't start it because I started the computer in AGP mode, not PCI mode. I'll still see if I have problems, though.

EDIT 2: Yeah, still having the problems that led up to posting this: Windows XP's startup keeps hanging for some reason related to the two video cards I have installed in the system.
(One is a Radeon 9000 dual-monitor card, the other is the 3D Rage Pro) I don't know if it's a conflict, because I moved the 3D Rage Pro twice.

Reply 1 of 1, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah yes, the joys of broken installers... At least it isn't WISE or some niche product.

For extracting InstallShield cab files, I use this (for the vast majority of installers) and this (for very old installers).

As for loose .xx_ files - IS likes to bundle stuff inside a single data.cab or not touch the source files at all, not individually compress stuff. So if you see something like this then they're most likely Microsoft format cabs (that are meant to be installed through an .inf; IS is just there to provide a nice GUI to kick off the process). You can unpack those with any of the standard tools - cabextract, extract.exe, extrac32.exe - or even 7-Zip, but you may have to guess the last character.