VOGONS

First post, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So last week I was going through the box of video cards I am not using and was kind of sorting them by connector/standard... ISA, PCI, AGP, even some PCIex (not interested in those anyway),...

Are those even worth anything? I know some are sought after, but I don't think I have the best versions, mostly are from 3rd parties and of course without boxes and/or papers. I can bet the voodoo might be worth something and somehow usable... The R7000 or VE, i've been using it in the early 2000, not really a gaming card IIRC,... The best memories are with a revision 1 of a NVIDIA 6800gt, which I moded to get quadro performance out of it, purely for 3d design at that time...

The cards by chip maker:

3D PROPHET 2 MX
GF2 MX400 64MB
GF FX5200 128MB DDR
GF 6600
GF4 MX440 64MB

R7000 32MB
R9200 128MB
R9600 256MB
RAGE128 PRO 32MB SDR

MATROX G2+ MILA

3DFX VOODOO 3 2000 16MB

INTEL 740

Reply 1 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

GF2 MX400 64MB
R9600 256MB
3DFX VOODOO 3 2000 16MB

Everything else is redundant or not powerful enough to bother.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 10, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which ones are pci? Agp?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 3 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:47:

I agree that some cards, like the Radeon 7000 (which was called Radeon VE earlier), or the Radeon 9200 are budget cards and were not meant to play current 3D games. On the other hand, even these cards can have some use. They don't need a fan, and the provide enough 3D power to run games from some years earlier. Also, most R9200 cards provide DVI output (and in my experience, if you want resolutions exceeding 1024x768 you better don't use the VGA output), and can be perfectly fine for a super-socket 7 system for running DOS games that don't need 3D acceleration at all.

Other cards, like the Intel 740, might be interesting just for novelty value.

So before ditching those cards, try checking completed offers on ebay, and if the final price is worth the effort, better sell them to someone who might use the card than having the card go to recycling.

Reply 4 of 10, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mkarcher wrote on 2023-08-22, 16:06:
I agree that some cards, like the Radeon 7000 (which was called Radeon VE earlier), or the Radeon 9200 are budget cards and were […]
Show full quote
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-08-22, 15:47:

I agree that some cards, like the Radeon 7000 (which was called Radeon VE earlier), or the Radeon 9200 are budget cards and were not meant to play current 3D games. On the other hand, even these cards can have some use. They don't need a fan, and the provide enough 3D power to run games from some years earlier. Also, most R9200 cards provide DVI output (and in my experience, if you want resolutions exceeding 1024x768 you better don't use the VGA output), and can be perfectly fine for a super-socket 7 system for running DOS games that don't need 3D acceleration at all.

Other cards, like the Intel 740, might be interesting just for novelty value.

So before ditching those cards, try checking completed offers on ebay, and if the final price is worth the effort, better sell them to someone who might use the card than having the card go to recycling.

I have a i740 ..its a trusty little test bench card, does all the dirty testing work on boards I dont trust to work, its been to hell and back that little card but its still kicking. Sadly its not much use for a complete system as there are other cards of similar age that are better options, glad current Intel GPUs are much better than this first attempt 🤣.

Reply 5 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I never like to see anything thrown out if it works. As retro builders we often have the luxury of going for best in class cards for a build, or something close to it. As a result, tons of lower tier cards get written off as useless. But in reality almost every card can be useful in some scenario as pointed out above, and some even make surprisingly good workhorses in the right build.

If you need to clear the space, hopefully you consider selling or donating as opposed to trashing. Or just keep them in a shoebox under the bed... you never know when one of those ugly ducklings will pull you out of a bind.

Reply 7 of 10, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If your having a clear out I'd also recommend selling
All the Nvidia cards for example would be fine for a Win98 build if on a budget. (Maybe not the 6600 but that gives overkill performance)
I sold much less interesting cards recently on ebay like Matrox G450, ATI Mach 64. not for huge amounts but more than the initial $1 starting price

Reply 8 of 10, by NTG2001

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'd just put them up in a lot on eBay if you don't feel like going through the hassle of listing them individually. You'd make enough even with a low starting bid that it would be worthwhile to do. Could probably hit well over $50 even without the Voodoo 3.

Reply 9 of 10, by Martin85

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, after reading your answers, well I decided to keep them. Maybe they will come handy sooner or later. They don't take that much space anyway. The one I listet above are only AGP cards, the PCI and ISA are much less in number and are mostly in use in old systems I have.
Got to make some space, not long ago I got some 14" CRT PVMs from a local TV station. Those take a lot of space, plus CRT monitors and PC cases... Well the room is fully packed and the lady of the house is giving me bad looks 😉