VOGONS

Resolution issues on Windows 98

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 21, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found another workaround for this problem, which turned out to be more acceptable, at least for my case, (eliminates the need to eliminate the black bar). For this method, DDC must be left enabled. Its essence is to modify the original EDID if it does not contain the necessary user permissions. I took the original EDID (which somehow worked) from the HDMI port, modified it and flashed it into a non-working (at least with old video cards, up to and including G71) DVI Dual-Link connector. The changes affected the "Established Timings" section, where I selected all available outdated video modes. As well as the "Standard Timings" section, where he indicated all his problematic resolutions (for example, 720*60hz*5:4) and as native "1600*60hz*16: 9". In the "Detailed Data" section, I also specified as native 1600*900@60hz, and in the last section "Detailed Timing", consisting of 4 blocks, I also registered 3 problematic video modes and 1600*900 as DTD1. For all of them, it is also available at 60hz. I saved it and flashed it.

As a result, all video modes have started working. DVI is finally alive. The 9x algorithm is simple: DDC must be enabled initially. The PowerStrip config is cleared. First, set the mode 1600*900@60hz in the nVidia settings. The monitor now accepts it without any problems. Then PowerStrip accelerates to @100hz. Saved. Next, in the nVidia control panel, in the "Digital Flat Panel Settings" section, "Display adapter scaling" is set. Then, in the "Screen Resolutions & Refresh Rates" section, the first problematic resolution is set (it is better to go through all of them in order), for example, my problematic 720x576, with a frequency of 60hz. If it doesn't work, try 70hz, and so on until it does. But it usually works right away. As the resolution has changed (It is currently scaled by the video adapter), you need to go back to " Digital Flat Panel Settings "and set"Monitor Scaling". Then go to PowerStrip and overclock the already native 720x576 to 100hz. Save. Done.

Follow the same pattern to go through all the other video modes specified in the EDID, so that the correct PowerStrip config is formed for any case. And you can fully use it.

I used PowerStrip 3.80.625 which was acquired through.. a place

You need to keep in mind that these older versions may not be stable and may even cause system crashes. I have always used version 3.90 of Build 736, but the other day I decided to test version 3.85 of Build 645 to see if it was possible to register EDID and generally evaluate the differences. But it caused serious malfunctions and cyclic fall of the conductor. As a result, I restored the system from backup, with a problem-free version 3.90 Build 736.

Reply 21 of 21, by DoZator

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schnoots148 wrote on 2023-09-21, 06:21:
Update: Everything now works the way it should after lots and lots of trial and error. 56.64 is the best driver to use with a Qu […]
Show full quote

Update: Everything now works the way it should after lots and lots of trial and error. 56.64 is the best driver to use with a Quadro FX 1000 on win9x and ME, and 1600x900 @ 100Hz with my attached powerstrip parameters make it look perfect. I've installed windows ME as an experiment as I got sick of the long boot times of 98 that I couldn't fix, and its actually quite stable and snappy. Upon reboot when using a modern monitor like mine, you will get a "input not supported" error, this will eventually disappear on its own and if not it is because there are dialog boxes open such as "found new hardware" or "the file being replaced is older than the current one" which can appear after installing stuff. In this case you must spam the enter key and get it out of the way so windows can finish loading and for powerstrip to launch. I'm not sure if powerstrip has its own dialog box that pops up but regardless, the trick is to spam enter.

All credit goes to dozator for showing me how to do it right, imo this issue should be treated as a bigger deal as it allows us to use new high refresh rate monitors for superior experiences, that are readily available instead of chasing CRT's for those who don't have space for one, and also allowing for crisp hdmi quality with dvi to hdmi.

I used PowerStrip 3.80.625 which was acquired through.. a place

IMG-3672.jpg

These are quite common problems when video modes that work perfectly on CRT can not work on LCD in any way, through a digital connection that is of the highest quality for LCD. If the analog signal looks great on the CRT, then everything is much sadder on the LCD. In addition, there is also no normal smoothness, such as on CRT, and you can not remember about delays\viewing angles. And in order to compensate at least a little for all these LCD losses, especially the disgusting generated colors in dark places, at least on TN and the lack of the same smoothness as on CRT, you have to use a digital connection. However, it brings both greater clarity and new challenges. At the moment, I fixed the problem of a black screen when starting Windows (Now when starting WINDOWS, the image always appears immediately in 1600x900@60hz, which the monitor now accepts, and after PowerStrip autostart, it switches to 100hz by itself, without any scaling), and also got rid of the black bar on low frequencies., natively unsupported permissions, without using "nvclock-e 1".

However, I don't have an exact answer as to why this is happening. Why in XP and Linux everything works via HDMI at once, but here it can't. Most likely, the interaction features of a specific monitor scaler, a vBIOS video adapter, and an old video driver for 9x (I use ForceWare 77.72), which, apparently, does not yet know about modern monitors, as well as its EDID curve. Therefore, bypassing EDID (DDC off) gave the result in my case only partially. Without it, the video driver gave some game, as a result - a black bar on the side and not all video modes are available (PowerStrip is powerless here). Once DDC is enabled, the video driver generally starts scaling modes not specified in the EDID, up to 1920x1080, with a frequency of 30hz or even 24hz, which can no longer be raised. And PowerStrip does not even know how to save the user mode to the config for any such" scaled " video adapter mode, even up to not so high (1280x720, for example, and others). Accordingly, the settings were reset all the time. In theory, there is a small chance that it is possible to somehow correct the EDID in a normal way, so that everything works as it should. Especially with regard to DVI Dual-Link, the enable bit of which is also provided for the HDMI port, according to the WIKI.. Well, if there is a real DVI port, it is also possible to come up with something, somehow make friends with the ancient driver and the current implementation of the DVI Dual-Link standard. Well, if you don't need to modify the driver. But even at the hardware level, there is no support (Even at the BIOS stage with old video cards, there was no image at all).