VOGONS

First post, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I Have heard in another post that there are drivers to get a Voodoo 3 working under Windows 3.11. I'm trying to get 1024x786 at either 16k color depth (I have a very nice background image)

This system dual boots into windows 98, where i use the voodoo 3 for some 3dfx games (Quake 3 and Carmageddon with the 3dfx patch)

If this can't be made to work, can someone recommend an AGP card that has good Win 3.11 compatibility and will allow 16k, 24, or 32 bit colors? I know at one time i used an ATI card, but i believe that was PCI, not AGP.

Thanks Again!

Reply 1 of 3, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AFAIK Matrox cards have very decent Win 3.x drivers.

https://video.matrox.com/en/apps/drivers/grap … perating_system

You can grab a cheap G200 and enjoy very good Windows acceleration.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2 of 3, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I picked up the win3.1 driver package attached to this post at some point, but tbh I never got around to trying them so I cannot vouch for anything. There's a screenshot in there indicating they originated from Compaq, and showing them running at 1024x768 64k colors, which sounds exactly like what you want. Hope they work out for you.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 3, by batmreload

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks!

elszgensa wrote on 2023-08-25, 15:40:

I picked up the win3.1 driver package attached to this post at some point, but tbh I never got around to trying them so I cannot vouch for anything. There's a screenshot in there indicating they originated from Compaq, and showing them running at 1024x768 64k colors, which sounds exactly like what you want. Hope they work out for you.