VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2023-09-01, 22:44:
A Geforce 3 Ti200 is the slowest Geforce 3 card, but it's also typically the cheapest. It also has the same features as the fast […]
Show full quote
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-09-01, 05:56:
I will move away from the original plan. […]
Show full quote
smtkr wrote on 2023-09-01, 00:00:

The era you are targeting (1998-2001) is Geforce era. Games that came out in those years supported D3D or OGL, even if they also had a Glide renderer. Some of them had poorly implemented D3D or GL implementations at launch, but these were typically patched to be very good.

Get a Geforc2, 3, or 4.

I will move away from the original plan.

I'd rather turn my rig numer one (the asus p2b 400 mhz PII) into a Voodoo 2 rig in the long run

and get a Geforce 2, 3 or 4 for my Athlon 1400.

In the Geforce 3 and 4 range the Gf 3 ti 200 and the Gf 4 42000 should be the most desirable cards right?

A Geforce 3 Ti200 is the slowest Geforce 3 card, but it's also typically the cheapest. It also has the same features as the faster Geforce 3 and Geforce 3 Ti500. It is fine for games in the 1998-2001 date range.

All of the Geforce 4 Ti4200, Ti4400, and Ti4600 (and all of the oddly named AGP 8x variants) are extremely good.

Given that all of these will meet your needs, get the best deal that you can (my usual advice for the vintage computing hobby, given the degree of hording and scalping these days).

Other considerations in your selection are whether or not you want a DVI port and any VIVO features you want to experiment with.

Thanks a lot for the info. Have done research in the meantime and you are right the Geforce 3 Ti 200 would be the cheapest which makes it interesting for me.

Is any maker of the gf 3 ti 200 good or would you recommend a specific company?

In case I should purchase a member of the gf 4 family the gf 4 ti 4200 would be the best offer due the price and the avaibilty.

A Gf 4 4400 or the f4 4600 would be nice as well bu they are more expensive and harder to find.

I have also looked into the ati radeon cards.

A Ati redeon 7500 could be seen as alterantive to the geforce cards. A Radeon 8500 looks also interesting spec wise but they are rather expensive compared to the 7500 family.

What is your opinion about the Radeon 7500 cards?

Reply 21 of 22, by smtkr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-09-02, 09:11:
Thanks a lot for the info. Have done research in the meantime and you are right the Geforce 3 Ti 200 would be the cheapest which […]
Show full quote
A Geforce 3 Ti200 is the slowest Geforce 3 card, but it's also typically the cheapest. It also has the same features as the fast […]
Show full quote
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-09-01, 05:56:
I will move away from the original plan. […]
Show full quote

I will move away from the original plan.

I'd rather turn my rig numer one (the asus p2b 400 mhz PII) into a Voodoo 2 rig in the long run

and get a Geforce 2, 3 or 4 for my Athlon 1400.

In the Geforce 3 and 4 range the Gf 3 ti 200 and the Gf 4 42000 should be the most desirable cards right?

A Geforce 3 Ti200 is the slowest Geforce 3 card, but it's also typically the cheapest. It also has the same features as the faster Geforce 3 and Geforce 3 Ti500. It is fine for games in the 1998-2001 date range.

All of the Geforce 4 Ti4200, Ti4400, and Ti4600 (and all of the oddly named AGP 8x variants) are extremely good.

Given that all of these will meet your needs, get the best deal that you can (my usual advice for the vintage computing hobby, given the degree of hording and scalping these days).

Other considerations in your selection are whether or not you want a DVI port and any VIVO features you want to experiment with.

Thanks a lot for the info. Have done research in the meantime and you are right the Geforce 3 Ti 200 would be the cheapest which makes it interesting for me.

In case I should purchase a member of the gf 4 family the gf 4 ti 4200 would be the best offer due the price and the avaibilty.

A Gf 4 4400 or the f4 4600 would be nice as well bu they are more expensive and harder to find.

A Ati redeon 7500 could be seen as alterantive to the geforce cards. A Radeon 8500 looks also interesting spec wise but they are rather expensive compared to the 7500 family.

For vintage hardware, I think being choosy only makes sense if it doesn't cost a lot. With that said, I would recommend a specific company for Geforce 3s. In the Geforce 2 and 3 era, the board makers cheaped out on the RAMDACs or something and you find a lot of really bad quality output. Gainward, IMO, was a cut above the others. If you can find one of those, they are preferable.

Geforce 4s all had good video, from what I remember.

Radeons were pretty good. I think the 7000 series were DX7 cards and the 8500 was a DX8.

Reply 22 of 22, by gamefan_851

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
smtkr wrote on 2023-09-03, 00:01:
For vintage hardware, I think being choosy only makes sense if it doesn't cost a lot. With that said, I would recommend a specif […]
Show full quote
gamefan_851 wrote on 2023-09-02, 09:11:
Thanks a lot for the info. Have done research in the meantime and you are right the Geforce 3 Ti 200 would be the cheapest which […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

For vintage hardware, I think being choosy only makes sense if it doesn't cost a lot. With that said, I would recommend a specific company for Geforce 3s. In the Geforce 2 and 3 era, the board makers cheaped out on the RAMDACs or something and you find a lot of really bad quality output. Gainward, IMO, was a cut above the others. If you can find one of those, they are preferable.

Geforce 4s all had good video, from what I remember.

Radeons were pretty good. I think the 7000 series were DX7 cards and the 8500 was a DX8.

Thanks a lot for your reply. The Radeon cards are very interesting indeed and in case I should go with a ATI card I would pick the 7500 due the good price and avaibility.

The Geforce 3 ti 4200 is the other card I would consider worth purchasing due the avaibility, good price and the nice specs.

Having a Geforce 2 would be also cool but with that card the avaibility and the price is not great. Same goes for the Ati Radeon 8500 series.

Due the fact that you never know what you get when purchasing vintage hardware I want to keep costs as low as possible.